Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Staying in the know

Nancy English, center, auxiliary services coordinator and administrative assistant for the Lansing Area AIDS Network, lights a candle Monday at Hannah Community Center.

Red ribbons. Candlelight. Singing. Against the backdrop of snow, these things appear as if they are more holiday festivities. To many people across the world, they are symbols of remembrance, leadership, awareness and a significant loss of life.

“I think people have an idea in their head that HIV/AIDS only strikes people in different countries and that it’s not prevalent in the U.S.,” said Julia Rice, a dietetics senior and health advocate at Olin Health Center. “It’s prevalent in our community.

“With the ribbons and other events, I hope people become aware and knowledgeable about what they can do and what they can do to prevent transmission.”

Monday marked the 20th World AIDS Day. This year’s focus was on leadership, said Nancy English, auxiliary services coordinator for the Lansing Area AIDS Network, or LAAN.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or CDC, 33 million people worldwide have HIV. About 7,500 people are infected each day.

“Even if you think you have no chance (of getting HIV), it’s important you know your status,” English said.

HIV, or human immunodeficiency virus, is the virus that causes AIDS. It attacks the immune system, destroying the CD4 cells that help the body combat diseases.

HIV/AIDS is transmitted sexually, through sharing needles or from mother to child. It is not transmitted through activities such as shaking hands, hugging or from touching an object the someone with HIV has touched, according to the CDC.

“There’s no cure for this disease and nothing in the future,” English said. “Once you become HIV positive, you will always be HIV positive.”

LAAN hosted a program Monday morning at Hannah Community Center, 819 Abbot Road. One of the speakers, Richard Foster, said he was surprised at the turnout.

“Last year, we had a little more than 25,” he said. “It was almost double what it was last year.”

As someone with AIDS, Foster said he knows the physical and emotional hardships associated with the disease.

“When (people) find out I have (AIDS), you see it in their facial expression — an immediate fear,” Foster said. “I suspect they’re thinking ‘Oh my God, I’m going to get the virus,’ and that’s not true.”

Foster said he hopes people will get involved, whether it’s volunteering, donating money or getting involved politically.

HIV is apolitical — it does not choose sides, it doesn’t care if you’re a Democrat or a Republican, Conservative or Green Party,” he said.

Olin recognized World AIDS Day with about 400 red ribbons that lined Farm and Shaw lanes. A candlelight vigil that was supposed to be held at the rock on Farm Lane was canceled because of the weather.

Panels of the HIV/AIDS memorial quilt also were on display at Kresge Art Museum.

“Only you have control over your life — no one else has control over it, you have to realize any decision you make has consequence,” Foster said. “For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. For every decision, there is a consequence; whether it’s good or bad depends on the decision.”

Share and discuss “Staying in the know” on social media.