New drug may better treat strand of staph infections

Doctors might soon have a new option for treating methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA.

Researchers at Paratek Pharmaceuticals, a Boston-based company, announced Oct. 26 that Phase II testing of the drug PTK 0796 yielded positive results.

MRSA is a type of staph infection that is resistant to methicillan, a derivative of penicillin, said Dr. Thomas Corner, a retired MSU microbiology professor.

“It’s a broad spectrum oral and IV antibiotic,” said Kathryn Boxmeyer, the executive director of finance for Paratek. “What is unique, first of all, is its broad spectrum, which means it works against most bacteria with serious skin infections.”

MRSA also is resistant to common antibiotics such as oxacillin, penicillin and amoxicillin, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or CDC, Web site.

Staph infections can cause skin infections, and in more rare cases, blood infections or pneumonia.

The main concern for college students is community-associated MRSA, Corner said. This occurs when someone who hasn’t been in the hospital or had an operation within the last year contracts MRSA.

“You’re more likely to get it in environments where there’s close contact and sharing things, like community showers,” Corner said. “You shouldn’t get scared but you should be cautious and aware.”

PTK 0796 showed a 98 percent clinical success rate. The current treatment, Zyvox, shows a 93.2 percent success rate, according to a statement from Paratek.

PTK 0796 also didn’t cause any serious, adverse drug-related effects, Boxmeyer said.

A new medication is needed because there are cases of staph that are proving resistant to current treatment.

The next phase of testing will involve using PTK 0796 to treat pneumonia, Boxmeyer said.

There is no set number of clinical tests that a drug must go through to obtain the approval of the Food and Drug Administration, FDA spokeswoman Sandy Walsh said.

According to the CDC Web site, about 25 to 30 percent of the population carries staph bacteria. About 1 percent carries MRSA.

“Most of the time it’s not going to be a problem,” Corner said.

Problems arise when the bacteria gets into a cut or other abrasions, he said.

MRSA occurs most among those who have been hospitalized or reside in a care facility and who have a weak immune system.

Boxmeyer said that Paratek is aiming for FDA approval for the new drug by 2010.

Share and discuss “New drug may better treat strand of staph infections” on social media.