Wednesday, July 3, 2024

New bill promotes leniency in alcohol-related emergency

Your friend had too much to drink. You tipped a few back as well, but someone should get help. Concerns about your being slapped with a minor in possession charge might have prevented swift action, but no more — at least if talks between ASMSU and area police are successful.

The Good Samaritan bill passed by ASMSU’s Student Assembly in October proposes that police, if they agree, would be unable to give students under 21 a minor in possession ticket for assisting in emergency situations involving alcohol.

MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said the bill could be feasible for police and students.

“I don’t think that’s an issue with our department,” she said. “We encourage students to call the police because it’s more of an issue or concern that the person they are calling about is getting the assistance that they need. Their health is of the immediate concern.”

Student Assembly passed the Good Samaritan bill by consent, but has no authority on campus or in East Lansing to put it into action. ASMSU is MSU’s undergraduate student government.

At a student government conference, Kyle Dysarz, Student Assembly vice chairperson for external affairs, said he was inspired at a conference to create the bill. It was recently implemented at Ohio State University, and Penn State University also is working to put it into action. Dysarz doesn’t want to put a time frame on when the bill could be enacted on campus and in East Lansing.

“It’s not something that I think will be a quick process,” he said. “It’s something we’ll really be working on the rest of the year and potentially into the summer.”

ASMSU plans to meet with both the MSU and East Lansing police departments, as well as Olin Health Center. Olin officials are open to the proposed ordinance’s ideas. Health educator Rebecca Allen of Olin’s Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs program, said students in need would benefit greatly from such a bill.

“Anything that encourages friends to watch out for and take care of each other typically has a positive effect on health and safety,” Allen said.

ASMSU has not formally met with either police department or Olin. Before getting the ball rolling, there are details within the wording of the proposed ordinance that must be worked out, Dysarz said.

Without the ability to enact the law themselves and until Student Assembly officials approach Olin educators, Allen said it’s difficult for her to get a grasp on the situation.

“I have not read the proposed (bill), but if it conflicts with state and local laws, it may not have its intended effect,” she said.

Share and discuss “New bill promotes leniency in alcohol-related emergency” on social media.