Sunday, May 19, 2024

Defense wins championships

Hertel

If you don’t allow goals, you can’t lose. That’s the motto the MSU men’s soccer team has been living by this season. And it’s working perfectly for the Spartans, as they have racked up seven straight shutouts. With an established scorer in Doug DeMartin up top, head coach Joe Baum has been able to focus his attention on molding the defensive unit into a back line that has been impenetrable of late. “You can’t really ask for much more than what they’ve done this year,” Baum said. Here is a look at what Baum, sophomore goalkeeper Avery Steinlage and State News men’s soccer reporter Alex DiFilippo have to say about what the four defenders bring to the table.

#15 David Hertel, senior left defender

Steinlage: “He’s a fantastic ball winner and he’s fast. He’s got the potential to play at the next level because he’s so smart and he’s got very good foot skills.”

Baum: “Dave has the skills of a forward. He’s a defender playing with offensive skills. That’s a really nice asset for the team — to have a guy releasing from the back all the time who can get up there and be effective. He’s the whole package and he’s an outstanding man-marker because he’s such a good athlete.”

DiFilippo: What makes Hertel such a great defender is his calm demeanor with the ball. He might be facing his own goal inside the 18-yard box, but he doesn’t just dump it out — he finds a way to play to feet. His speed never puts him out of position.

#6 Josh Rogers, senior sweeper

Steinlage: “Josh has been incredible this year with the way he plays angles and the way he anchors the defense. He sacrifices his body and just throws his body in front of shots. He just knows the game very well.”

Baum: “Josh is like the rock back there. First of all he’s a great communicator and he’s a great reader of offenses. He’s very good at giving cover when someone gets beat and he’s extremely reliable. He can also outlet-pass long balls extremely well.”

DiFilippo: Rogers easily made the play of the season in the Big Ten Tournament when he dove to head the ball moments before it crossed the goal line to keep MSU ahead and eventually earn a victory over Northwestern.

#21 Nosa Iyoha, sophomore stopper

Steinlage: “Nosa is the ball-winner of the defense. He’s fast, he’s smart and he goes into tackles fearlessly. He sacrifices his body and he will run at anyone and go in as hard as he can.”

Baum: “Nosa is another great athlete. He’s fast, quick, skillful and has great endurance. The guy weighs abut 150 pounds and he must have a heart of a 300-pound man. He gives his heart and soul to this team. He usually marks the other team’s attack midfielder … and he shuts them down.”

DiFilippo: The stopper position is crucial for any defensive unit because it has the ability to kill the attack right when it’s trying to form. Iyoha’s speed and commitment to win every tackle makes him a huge asset in the upcoming tournament.

#12 Jake Fullerton, sophomore right defender

Steinlage: “He’s the newest member of the defense, but he’s really good. He’s such a tough player. He’s really strong physically and he’s fast.”

Baum: “Jake’s been a great surprise. He’s got it all. He’s quick, he’s hard and he’s tenacious. We always say every play is a big play and Jake Fullerton personifies that. Every head ball he’s going like it’s the last one of the game. All of the 50-50 balls he goes for them like there’s one second left and if he wins it, we win the match.”

DiFilippo: If you are looking for a rough and tough defender, Fullerton is your guy. After replacing sophomore Colin Givens (injury), Fullerton took over the starting spot and has been a valuable addition.

Share and discuss “Defense wins championships” on social media.