Thursday, October 24, 2024

ASMSU concert to be discussed

Students could be tapping their toes to some new tunes on campus next spring — at least if a $65,000 concert gets the OK.

Last week, ASMSU passed a bill through its Student Assembly Finance Committee, which would allocate $65,000 to a spring concert. Tonight, the bill will be discussed by the Student Assembly, where it could become the second major concert sponsored by ASMSU this school year. No artists have been named to perform, but the event would likely be held in the Auditorium.

ASMSU is MSU’s undergraduate student government.

The bill strictly outlines that “up to $65,000” be allocated for the concert. However, Student Assembly Chairperson Mike Webber said the bill’s planning reflects the large amount of money.

“We knew it would take a significant chunk of money,” Webber said.

Webber added that the concert is a great opportunity to entertain MSU students. According to the bill, the concert would be “further enhancing ASMSU’s image.”

“We’re giving the students what they’re asking for,” Webber said.

All revenue from the event would be generated back to special projects. The bill also states that about $72,000 could be earned from the concert’s revenue. Although the concert wouldn’t be free, Webber said it would be “a cheap ticket.” He wasn’t sure if the event would be open to people who are not MSU students.

In September, ASMSU put on iVote — a free concert headlined by Nas and Brand New. The concert’s budget was $225,000. On Sept. 10, Student Assembly’s vice chairperson for internal affairs, Garrett Faulk, said the planning of iVote was based on hope itself rather than exact names.

“We passed the bill for iVote on nothing but an idea and a dream,” Faulk said.

Share and discuss “ASMSU concert to be discussed ” on social media.