Obama scheduled to visit MSU on Thursday

Obama

Editor’s note: This article was corrected to reflect the number of days until Michigan’s voter registration deadline.

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama will hold a rally Thursday at MSU, campaign officials announced before 5 p.m. Monday.

The rally, which is part of the “Change We Need” tour, is scheduled to start at 2:30 p.m. at Adams Field off West Circle Drive.

“Democratic candidates have a history of coming to MSU, and we did expect him to come sooner or later,” MSU College Democrats President Georg Schuttler said. “We’re very excited to have him come, and we really want to be a part of his campaign to the White House.”

Obama will travel around the state Thursday without his running mate, Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del. Obama also is scheduled to speak Thursday morning at Calder Plaza in Grand Rapids.

Obama will encourage students in East Lansing to vote and discuss the financial crisis, according to a campaign press release.

“I think the majority of the issues will be on the economy,” said Kevin Lewis, a spokesman for the Obama campaign.

The Illinois senator’s East Lansing visit is one of many Michigan campaign stops this week, and his first stop at a Michigan university since the Democratic National Convention.

Obama spoke in Detroit on Sunday, and former presidential candidate Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., was in Grand Ledge on Saturday.

“It speaks not only to how important Michigan is to the election, but how much it’s important to the future of the country,” Schuttler said. “Senator Obama realizes this and really wants to demonstrate how important Michigan is to the country as a whole.”

The event comes four days before Michigan’s voter registration deadline on Monday.

Obama’s visit might be the encouragement students need to vote with the democratic ticket, political theory and constitutional democracy senior Christina McNeal said.

“Historically, university students have been the most politically active, but that doesn’t translate into the election because students don’t vote,” she said. “To meet him will encourage (students) to get to the polls.”

McNeal has not decided which candidate will get her vote, but said she would like Obama to talk about the national economic crisis, rising tuition costs and financial aid.

The event is free and open to the public. Admission is on a first-come, first-serve basis, but people can register online at mi.barackobama.com before the event, Lewis said.

Gates will open at 11:30 a.m.

People planning to attend are asked not to bring bags, signs or banners to the rally.

Share and discuss “Obama scheduled to visit MSU on Thursday” on social media.