Thursday, October 24, 2024

ASMSU prepares for iVote

Kyle Dysarz isn’t nervous.

He’s heading up a concert that cost ASMSU $225,000, will oversee more than 30 registered student organizations as they pile into Breslin Center and hopes 9,000 MSU students will show up.

But none of that fazes ASMSU’s Student Assembly vice chairperson for external affairs.

“It doesn’t even feel like the week of the concert,” Dysarz said. “I feel like everything is going as smoothly as possible.”

Breslin Center will open its doors Thursday for MSU students and ASMSU’s iVote — a free concert featuring hip-hop artist Nas and alternative rock band Brand New.

ASMSU is MSU’s undergraduate student government.

The event urges voter registration and features student organizations and vendors. The first 1,000 students will receive free T-shirts.

But just because the event is geared toward voter registration doesn’t mean it’s the only priority, Student Assembly’s director of event planning Morgan Green said.

“We hope that every student is there to take an active roll and get registered to vote,” Green said. “But it doesn’t matter if they register or not, we just want them to come out for a good time – no pressure.”

And although the concert focuses on politics, it will still be lively, Dysarz said.

“You’re going to walk into the Breslin filled with students excited to see both of these well-known bands and artists,” he said. “It’s (the MSU students’) concert. It’s something rare — filling up the Breslin with just students for free.”

Although current ASMSU members will not likely be a part of the assembly during the 2012 presidential election, Dysarz and Green hope the assembly will choose to have another voter registration concert.

“We’re taking action to make sure everything is documented and organized for people in the future,” Dysarz said. “Hopefully this is something that is continued every election year in the time to come.”

Share and discuss “ASMSU prepares for iVote” on social media.