Thursday, October 24, 2024

Sparticipation draws thousands

Thousands of students made their way to the Auditorium on Saturday night, drawn by the promise of free goodies, the desire to explore the hundreds of student organizations in attendance and general curiosity.

Dancers from the MSU Ballroom Dance Club showed off their moves, while other students gave the rock wall a go. Music from various booths thrummed through the air, mixing with the calls of “Go Green, Go White!”

An estimated 3,000 to 4,000 people and about 350 groups attended Sparticipation, formerly known as Party at the Aud, said Amanda Scharnweber, student activities assistant for Student Life.

The event stretched from Auditorium Road, a part of which was closed for the event, to across the front of the Auditorium and the lawn behind the rock on Farm Lane.

“We want everyone to have a good time, to be safe and we want all of the freshmen to enjoy,” Scharnweber said.

Though many groups target freshmen at the event, students from all class levels came out.

“We came just to check it out, but I ended up registering to vote,” said Melitta Floyd, an anthropology junior.

The organizations in attendance hoped to benefit from the influx of students.

“We’ve gotten a lot of new faces from Sparticipation in previous years,” said Kristen Wolfe, treasurer of the Ballroom Dance Club.

One of the sponsors of the event, Teach for America, hoped to raise awareness of the opportunities it provides, said Patricia Neuburger, a recruitment associate for the organization.

“We’ve met a lot of people in the past,” Neuburger said.

Teach for America sends recent graduates on a two-year tour of the United States to teach in low-income areas.

The organization has attended the MSU event in previous years, but this was the first year it was a sponsor, Neuburger said.

The organizations in attendance ranged from religious to athletics to academic.

“It’s about the same as previous years,” said Elly Drain, a plant biology junior. “Lots of info and really crowded.”

Share and discuss “Sparticipation draws thousands” on social media.