Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Don't sweat it

Learn how to handle life's little problems quickly and easily so you can focus on what's really important

Heal a paper cut

With classes beginning and more unpacking to do, the little things in life can be more annoying to deal with. Although there are plenty of tips out there about study habits, how to take notes or success strategies for exams, little issues that come up along the way might seem worse than they really are when time is limited and schedules are packed. Stress doesn’t have to overtake other priorities of everyday life. Remembering simple solutions to common problems can help take the edge off. Here are some quick fixes to life’s little stressors to keep in mind when everything else seems overwhelming.

How to…

Get rid of bad breath

Bad-smelling liquids, as well as medications and food, can lead to unpleasant mouth odor, but purchasing a tongue scraper or brushing the tongue as well as the teeth can help deter the problem. Flossing also can help to avoid the problem of leftover food remnants lingering in the mouth and leading to bad smells. Use breath mints or mouthwash that help alleviate, not just mask, odors.

Remove a stain

Different stains call for different removal measures. If it is from blood, rinse the clothing item in cool water, pre-spray it with stain treatment and put it in the laundry with cool water and bleach detergent.

“Tide to Go is amazing,” no-preference freshman Anna Wysocki said.

For stains from pollen, grass or makeup, apply a stain remover and let the stain sit, then wash the clothes in hot water. Stains from condiments like ketchup or mustard may take a few rounds of stain remover and laundering.

Fix a flat tire

First, drive slowly to a safe area.

“You don’t want to get out of the vehicle, especially on the driver’s side, in traffic,” said Nancy Cain, spokesperson for AAA Michigan.

Make sure the car is on level ground and apply the parking brake. Place a wheel chock or large rock behind the diagonally opposing wheel to prevent rolling.

If necessary, remove the hubcap. Loosen the lug nuts with a lug nut wrench.

Remove the flat tire and set it aside. Lift the new tire onto the wheel studs; the air valve always faces out.

Replace the lug nuts. Lower and remove the jack, tighten the lug nuts, and put the hubcap back on.

Heal a paper cut

Wash out the wound then put a disinfectant like Neosporin or liquid skin on followed by a Band-Aid. For a paper cut on the tongue, rinse the mouth with salt water to speed up the healing process.

Rearrange a room

Arrange the room so that upon entering, there is a large piece of furniture directly opposite of the entrance. This will draw attention into the room.

For smaller spaces such as a dorm, avoid overcrowding with too many furniture pieces. Putting a large mirror in the room also creates the illusion that the room is bigger than it really is.

Renew a wardrobe

A new school year may call for new clothing, but it doesn’t have to hurt your wallet. Mixing old parts of a wardrobe with new current trend pieces is the most effective way, said Amanda Briglio, president of MSU’s Student Apparel Design Association.

“You can definitely look for well-made pieces that are going to last that fit within your budget,” said Briglio, an apparel and textile design senior.

Change your sleep schedule

To drastically change your sleep habits, transitioning sleep time gradually can be more helpful than changing overnight.

“Get into a routine,” accounting sophomore Kirsten Walker said. “Don’t stay out super late one night and want to go to bed early the next.”

Light changes, such as exposing yourself to bright sunlight when you wake up, can help set up a biological clock for your body’s natural sleep rhythm.

Switching off the TV and using heavy curtains at night can help train your body that it’s time to sleep.

Heal a muscle cramp

A muscle that locks in place, also known as a charley horse, can be painful but cared for, said Jonathan Kermiet, health educator at Olin Health Center.

Quick, vigorous massage to get the muscle to release helps, Kermiet said.

“Icing a muscle cramp itself is not what you want to do,” he said.

“You really have to get at that muscle and try to work it loose.”

Too much exercising can cause muscle pain due to microscopic tearing, Kermiet said. In those cases, putting ice on the muscle may help, as well as seeing a medical professional to obtain a muscle relaxant.

Retrieve a cell phone dropped in the toilet/sink

If a cell phone becomes immersed in water, the best remedy to try and fix it is to remove the battery from the phone and let it dry overnight. If the phone is too water damaged but there is insurance on the phone, it can be replaceable by the network provider.

Clean up an exploded pen

Stain remover or rubbing alcohol can help remove pen explosions from clothing. Rub detergent on the affected area and wash the clothing in hot water.

“I hear hair spray gets out stains from an exploded pen,” Wysocki said.

An explosion from a felt pen can be much more difficult to remove. Stain remover and detergent should be applied, and the clothing should be washed in the hottest water recommended for the fabric.

Stay calm in traffic

The main thing to do when stuck in rush hour is to remain calm and not lose control of your emotions, Cain said.

“Take a couple of deep breaths, put music on the radio and never take anything personally,” Cain said.

If other people on the road are cutting you off or being rude, Cain recommends putting yourself in the other driver’s shoes to keep perspective.

“Maybe they just got bad news,” Cain said. “Consider that someone else is having a bad day.”

Pull weeds

Taking weeds out by the roots helps prevent them from growing back, said Marilyn Oversmith, an employee at Lansing Gardens, 1434 E. Jolly Road. Pulling them out before they flower also helps prevent seeds from germinating around the garden.

“They’ll come right out,” Oversmith said.

Source: AAA, Lansing Gardens, WebMD, Real Simple, Verizon Wireless, eHow.com

Share and discuss “Don't sweat it” on social media.