Monday, September 23, 2024

Lots of things to consider when planting rain garden

As a gardener, I absolutely loved the article Rain gardens filter stormwater (SN 7/21) and think it was really well written and written with a lot of enthusiasm. I loved the quote from Ann Hancock especially, and the fact you went straight to the sources of Patricia Pennell and Dan Christian. I have one exception with the article.

As to the benefits of rain gardens, it seems like you took this stuff out of thin air, making up the last fact, and grossly oversimplifying. I hope Pennell and Christian did not lead you to believe native plants require no pesticides or fertilizers and are more sustainable than non-native plants.

First, define the word sustainable. There are lots of non-native plants that are “sustainable” right here in Michigan and they are desirable plants for many gardens, serving various useful landscape purposes. Many of these non-native plants are too sustainable, having become environmental pest plants — for instance, purple loosestrife, Norway maple, buckthorn and a host of others. Then there are the obvious native plants that don’t stand a chance for a future on this continent. The native ash tree (a common wetland tree in Michigan) would be excellent in a rain garden except for one huge problem: the emerald ash borer. This plant, alas, is no longer sustainable, though it is highly desirable.

As for pesticides, they are the only solutions in some cases. I strongly agree we need to limit pesticides and I am 100 percent in favor of all farmers and food producers who do this. I am also in favor of commercial nurseries and landscapers finding and using plant material that is less susceptible to pests and disease and more ecologically diverse. I also agree we cannot contaminate groundwater in a rain garden by using pesticides. By doing this we are required to use plants that don’t need pesticides. In the long term, this could limit the diversity of plants we use in the landscape, which we should not let happen.

As for fertilizer, all plants need nutrients. Whether we add commercial fertilizer or cow manure or the plant gets its food from its wild habitat, all plants need nutrients. Rain garden plants often have a more limited need for large amounts of fertilizer. Yet, rainwater does contain nutrients and so does runoff. Some of these nutrients are undesirable even to the most sufficient rain garden plant. Beware!

Hope Rankin

1993 MSU horticulture graduate
Botanical Technician, Beal Botanical Garden

Share and discuss “Lots of things to consider when planting rain garden” on social media.