EMU's Boss named new MSU baseball coach

MSU Athletics Director Mark Hollis didn’t have to look far to find his school’s new baseball coach.

Jake Boss Jr., who was the 2008 Mid-American Conference Coach of the Year in his first season as Eastern Michigan’s head coach, will be named the 16th baseball coach in MSU history on Wednesday, according to MSU Sports Information.

Boss, a Lansing native, will replace David Grewe, who resigned from MSU on Thursday to accept an associate head coaching position with Louisiana State.

“I am extremely honored and humbled to be named the head baseball coach at Michigan State University,” Boss said in a press release. “When I started coaching at the collegiate level 13 years ago, my goal was to come back to East Lansing as head coach of the Spartan baseball
program, and I am very excited for this opportunity.”

Last season, Boss led Eastern Michigan to the MAC West Division championship and the school’s first NCAA Regional appearance since 2003. In the process, he became the second coach in conference history to win the MAC tournament and make the NCAA Tournament in his first season.

Prior to last season, Boss was an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at Michigan from 2004-07. He played baseball at Alma College from 1989-93.

With a new stadium on the horizon, Hollis hopes Boss will be able to lead MSU back to the postseason.

“As Michigan State University prepares to celebrate its 125th anniversary of Spartan Athletics and the sport of baseball, the selection of Jake Boss Jr. as its head coach could not come at a better time,” Hollis said in a press release. “Jake is committed to
winning with integrity and understands the entire scope and impact Spartan baseball has on our community and the state of Michigan.”

Share and discuss “EMU's Boss named new MSU baseball coach” on social media.