Friday, May 3, 2024

MSU takes 2 of 3 from Purdue

Sophomore outfielder Chris Roberts runs down the first baseline against Ohio State on April 13.

It’s crunch time for the MSU baseball team.

With the season winding down and the Big Ten Tournament approaching, the Spartans desperately need wins.

They found two of them during a four-game series at Purdue (27-22 overall, 18-9 Big Ten) last weekend, while only letting one game slip. The fourth game was rained out and won’t be made up.

“Every game is our season,” head coach David Grewe said. “Our backs are up against the wall and it’s either win or go home.”

The Spartans (24-24 overall, 12-14 Big Ten) have been on a tear lately, winning 10 of their last 12 games. But despite the late-season surge, they’re still vying for a slot in the postseason.

Only six teams qualify for the Big Ten Tournament and MSU is currently in seventh place.

“It was great to get two wins this weekend,” Grewe said. “But I thought the third game would be the most important for us, and we just gave it away.”

In the first game of the series Friday, sophomore Chris Roberts had three hits and three RBIs to lead the Spartans to a 6-1 victory.

Senior Mike Monterey (3-3) pitched a complete game in the victory. He allowed eight hits, struck out three, and didn’t allow an earned run.

“Monterey pitched an unbelievable game and did a great job of mixing up his pitches,” Grewe said.

MSU’s bats became even more lethal in the front-end of Saturday’s doubleheader, as the Spartans smacked 13 hits and cruised to an 11-3 victory.

It took little time for MSU’s offense to catch fire in the victory, as the Spartans tallied seven runs by the end of the third inning. Junior Eric Roof led MSU with four RBIs.

As the weather cooled, so did MSU’s bats, as the Spartans had just four hits in a 6-2 loss during the nightcap.

Freshman Brandon Eckerle finished 2-for-3 in the losing effort, while freshman Jonathan Roof had MSU’s only RBI.

“I felt we had no focus, the wrong attitude, and we weren’t putting the team first,” Grewe said.

The Spartans play a nonconference game today against Central Michigan in Mount Pleasant, before closing out the regular season at home this weekend with a four game series against Indiana.

Share and discuss “MSU takes 2 of 3 from Purdue” on social media.