Softball team wins Seminole Classic title

The MSU softball team shone as bright as the Florida sun during its opening weekend, going 4-0 and winning the Seminole Classic in Tallahassee, Fla.

In Sunday’s game against host Florida State, the Spartans were trailing 2-1 and down to their last out before mounting a comeback.

With the bases loaded, freshman shortstop Bianca Mejia drove in freshman outfielder Kristen Aidem with a fielder’s choice to tie the score at 2-2.

Sophomore pitcher/utility player Kelly Confer followed Mejia’s single with a pinch-hit single to score senior outfielder Nikki Nicosia for the game-winning run.

While MSU’s final game in Florida was a pitcher’s duel, the Spartans put on an offensive clinic the rest of the weekend.

In Friday’s season opener against UAB, MSU got on the board early in the bottom of the first inning, as Mejia drove home Nikki Nicosia with a sacrifice fly to give the Spartans an early 1-0 edge.

Noel took care of the rest, throwing a two-hitter and striking out seven, as the Spartans cruised to a 5-1 win over the Blazers.

MSU’s bats were wide awake Saturday morning, as the Spartans defeated Bethune-Cookman, 14-2.

Saturday’s afternoon game against Jacksonville was a seesaw battle, with the Spartans scoring three runs in the first and the Dolphins answering back with five of their own in the third.

With the score still 5-3 in the fifth, senior utility player Traci Nicosia came through with a two-run double to tie the game.

Senior utility player Jessica LeFevre led off the top of the seventh with a single, and scored three batters later when Mejia brought her home with an RBI single to give the Spartans a 6-5 lead.

Bass, who gave up six hits in seven innings, shut down the Dolphins in the bottom of the inning to hold onto the win.

The Spartans next take the field at 1 p.m. Friday against UNLV in the Palm Springs Classic in Palm Springs, Calif.

Share and discuss “Softball team wins Seminole Classic title” on social media.