Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Site provides acting outlet

Pretending to be Oscar the Grouch, acting like an Amish out-of-towner in New York City and dressing up like a pirate might sound like three years’ worth of Halloween costume ideas.

But for Jason Wilder Evans, that’s just a typical Thursday night.

“Last month I dressed up as a pirate and went into Barnes & Noble and looked for books on how to rent a pirate ship,” said Evans, a Michigan native.

For about an hour every Thursday night, Evans leaves his real life behind and becomes a modstar, an actor on the reality-based Web site ModMyLife.com.

Launched in mid-2007, Mod My Life is a Web site where viewers log in and submit ideas, or mods, for the modstars to perform. The mods are then voted on and the ones with the most votes are called in to the modstar, who then performs the mod in real time while viewers watch from their computers.

“Our type of reality entertainment gives users new and interesting ways to interact with the video while they watch it,” said Andy Keidel, co-creator of Mod My Life. “We also feel that a lot of what we do is more real than what gets seen on TV, since the content is live, unedited and constantly evolving.”

Keidel started the Web site with Martin Codyre after they worked together at Merrill Lynch. Keidel said the two had thrown around a number of ideas before deciding on Mod My Life. Not long after the creation, Evans joined the crew after Keidel and Codyre found him at a casting call in New York City.

Evans had appeared in numerous films before creating Mod My Life, including “27 Dresses” and “The Game Plan.” He said he liked the differences between filming Mod My Life and filming movies.

“The difference is that this is complete improv and you never know what’s going to happen,” Evans said. “The fun lies in that it’s unscripted.”

Fed up with rerun TV during the writer’s strike and rehashed story lines on reality shows, Mod My Life production manager Micah Ross said part of the reason why the site is so intriguing is because it’s constantly changing.

“This is live, and what you see is what you get,” Ross said. “We’re not locking into a formal routine either. We want to branch out and increase the high user interactivity.”

Although the site isn’t a year old yet, Keidel is thinking far into Mod My Life’s future.

He said an array of slightly more structured shows are in the works.

“We have found that modcasts with specific themes often inspire a flurry of new and creative ideas,” Keidel said. “For example, Evans dressed up as Santa a few nights before Christmas, and our viewers came up with great mods as they got a unique opportunity to control Santa Claus.”

Evans also said the crew hopes to start shooting in high definition in the near future.

Personally, Evans said he wouldn’t mind returning to Michigan to do a performance.

“I have a lot of friends that went to MSU,” Evans said. “I think it’d be really fun to do a show there. Maybe we can get ahold of a Sparty costume.”

Share and discuss “Site provides acting outlet” on social media.