Saturday, September 28, 2024

Rogers talks energy, youth vote

Rogers

U.S. Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Brighton, has been in Lansing since the Feb. 16 Michigan Republican Convention. He sat down for a one-on-one interview with The State News about MSU, the state of Michigan and other issues concerning college students.

The State News: How do you think this state can keep its jobs here and what are you doing to make sure that happens?

Mike Rogers: We have to stop beating up on our car companies for being the cause of all the world’s lows.

We’re going to be driving cars or something like cars for a very long time in our future. Now, they may be fueled differently, but we do more research and development than the other 49 states combined. We are well positioned to be the next generation of car builders that don’t use gasoline, are incredibly environmentally friendly and are still cool to own.

SN: What have you been doing to bring the alternative energy industry to Michigan?

MR: One of the things we can do is invest in the different forms of alternative energy. We shouldn’t look at climate change as a big negative for us.

This is a huge opportunity for a state like Michigan. We can be not only the national leaders, but the global leaders on alternative energy research for the way we fuel our cars and our homes. It can happen here, and a lot of the research is being done at Michigan State University.

SN: Why do you think MSU is best suited for alternative energy research?

MR: They’ve been involved in renewable energy for a very long time. It’s kind of an offshoot of their agricultural program that they’ve done for years and years.

So that puts it in a great position for two reasons: They’ve been very aggressive in renewable energy for years, and we’re the automotive center of the world, still.

SN: Why do you think the youth vote has been so strong this year, and how encouraging is that?

MR: I think it’s very encouraging. What I hope at the end of the day is the euphoria of the campaign meets the reality people are talking about. I think the youth vote will be excited, quite frankly, on the Republican message.

SN: Would you consider reinstating the draft?

MR: Right now, we have a volunteer army. I support a volunteer army, I served in a volunteer army. I think that’s really the right way to go. Given how high-tech our military is today, you really don’t want people who don’t want to be there.

Share and discuss “Rogers talks energy, youth vote” on social media.