Monday, September 23, 2024

Weiner's message of self-esteem applicable to all

In response to Maggie Lillis’ column Self-esteem: Body image speaker empowering, celebrity-name drops (SN 2/14), I would like to say that as a sorority member present for this mandatory event, I was extremely disturbed by this article. First, while Jessica Weiner’s program was a mandatory event, that does not and should not take away from the value and the core message that I and hopefully many other women received that evening.

It upsets me to hear that as soon as Lillis realized this event was mandatory for sororities, her “self-image plummeted,” and it “made (her) sink into a hole of self-loathing a little further.” To Lillis I ask this: Were you and I at the same event that night? The whole point of Weiner’s program was not to make you feel inadequate compared to other women, but rather to empower and invite all women to help change the exact feelings that Lillis was experiencing. All women, sorority members included, have experienced these feelings of imperfection and self-loathing at one point or another.

And while I agree with Lillis’ comments about the rude people reading and texting throughout the program, these people were certainly not the majority of the audience. There were many of us, myself included, who were paying attention to Weiner and actually understanding the message she was trying to get across. All I ask is that the next time a greek event is covered by The State News, the reporter’s own “negative energy” is not reflected in his or her article.

Kaitlin Plucinski

political science and pre-law sophomore

Share and discuss “Weiner's message of self-esteem applicable to all” on social media.