Monday, September 23, 2024

Circus dangerous, deprives animals of quality lives

On April 11-13, Breslin Center plans to host the Royal Hanneford Circus.

What claims to be “one of the premier family entertainment production companies in business today” has continually failed to meet minimum federal standards regarding the care of animals used in exhibition. Attending this circus is supporting animal abuse.

The Royal Hanneford Circus has been cited by the U.S. Department of Agriculture repeatedly for failing to provide adequate food and veterinary care for its animals, many of which perform up to three times a day, seven days a week. The circus has been reported for refusing to allow animal welfare inspectors to access animals, failing to feed animals properly and storing toxic substances near their food.

Trainers abuse the animals in order to teach them tricks that are unnatural to them. Jumping through fiery hoops and riding bicycles are tricks that are taught through force and pain toward the animals. Animals are often injured while attempting to learn tricks, or punished for not performing them properly.

Not only is this circus dangerous to animals, but also to humans as well. In 1990, an elephant named Carol knocked down and crushed a handler. This elephant is still with the circus, and is believed to still be giving rides to children.

Unless you support inhumane treatment and animal abuse, don’t attend this circus, because every ticket funds pain and neglect toward innocent animals.

Katy DeSantis

journalism freshman

Share and discuss “Circus dangerous, deprives animals of quality lives ” on social media.