Monday, September 23, 2024

Darwinist research still ongoing, not unproven

I was thoroughly disappointed with the arguments presented in Karren Lewis’ letter to the editor titled Intelligent design has basis, Darwinism still unproven (SN 2/11). First and foremost, I would like to point out that the study of evolution is a scientific work in progress. Although the fossil record is incomplete, new discoveries are being made every year. It is a complex network involving many disciplines including — but not limited to — biology, archaeology and anthropology.

Second, no basis for intelligent design was provided in the letter. There was a fallacious appeal to authority stating that “real scientists ranging from embryonic biologists to cosmologists to physicists” believe in the existence of an intelligent designer after they “failed” in their attempts to prove Darwinism. Evolution is a scientific pursuit aimed at progressively uncovering the origins of our species. Granted it may still be lacking, but it is unfair to proliferate the views of creationism while the case for evolution is still underway, and may be for quite some time. Their attempts to prove Darwinism have not failed, but are simply incomplete.

Intelligent design is commonly placed in a religious context. Creationism is an abstraction involving divine intervention and appeals to a “higher power.” Those who do not believe in God or an “intelligent designer” would come to find the basis for intelligent design severely lacking, not the other way around. So enters the classic argument of science versus religion.

Andrew Defever

psychology junior

Share and discuss “Darwinist research still ongoing, not unproven” on social media.