Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Find glasses that reflect personality, face shape

Lauren Dykstra only needed one honest critic when she picked out her first pair of glasses three years ago.

In keeping with the idea that mother knows best, the dietetics sophomore brought her mom along to help her select the right frames.

“I don’t know necessarily that you need an optician to help tell you which glasses, but more somebody who will tell you what looks good or not,” Dykstra said.

With about 14 million Americans suffering from visual impairment, Dykstra is part of a large, diverse group that drives the constant innovation and endless options in the eyeglass industry.

Stepping into an optometrist’s office with wall-to-wall displays of spectacles can be intimidating. With seemingly endless options for the material, shape and color, it can be hard to know where to start. Most optometry centers have opticians on hand to help.

“We start the conversation by looking at the person’s preferences,” said Bob Smith, an optician for Lansing Ophthalmology Regional Eye Care Center, 2001 Coolidge Road. “We discuss the use of the glasses. Are they going to be worn every day or as a backup to contacts? Then we’re able to make recommendations as far as what features would be available.”

Smith said opticians should discuss how to care for your new eyeglasses, what to expect and what warranties are available.

Linda Cross, lab manager at Professional Eyecare Center, 2900 Hannah Blvd., said you can narrow the search by focusing on frames that will flatter your face shape. Cross said those with oval faces can wear just about any type of frame.

For everyone else, the goal is to create balance.

“The ideal thing we’re looking for is to put the shape of a frame on a face to appear more oval, so if you have a more round face, you want to stick to more of a square,” she said.

For long, narrow faces, Cross said to seek a wider, curvy frame and avoid square lenses.

More angular faces, like the diamond shape, also should avoid frames with harsh angles and look for a softer outline.

Smith said a well-fitting pair of glasses should follow along the brow line.

The pupils should be positioned in the center of the lens and the edges of the frame shouldn’t stick out at the sides of the face.

After selecting a shape that fits, Cross said the next step is to select the material and color of the frames.There are several different options for material, including lightweight titanium, nickel-free and polycarbonate, as well as several types of plastics. When choosing metal frames, Cross said patrons often try to match their frame with the color of jewelry they prefer.

While the most flattering color usually plays up a person’s best features, such as their eyes, skin tone or hair, she said a person’s personality is just as important.

After a finished pair of eyeglasses is delivered, Cross said the optician should adjust them to each customer’s specific face shape.

Often, a customer will have one ear lower than the other, a crooked bridge, or some other inconsistency.

“As humans, we are not symmetrical,” she said. “You have to actually have your glasses fitted to your face.”

Share and discuss “Find glasses that reflect personality, face shape ” on social media.