Lerg & Lerg lead Spartans over No. 1 Michigan, 1-0

Junior goaltender Jeff Lerg prepares as members of the Michigan offense put pressure on the net. Lerg successfully stopped all 26 shots, aiding the Spartans in winning 1-0 against the No. 1 Wolverines at Yost Ice Arena in Ann Arbor.

Photo by Karen Cassidy | The State News

Editor’s note: This story was changed to reflect the accurate number of shots Jeff Lerg saved.

Ann Arbor — Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to The Jeff Lerg Show.

The junior goaltender has two consecutive shutouts in the past two games, and the biggest victory came with Friday’s 1-0 blanking of No. 1 Michigan at Yost Ice Arena.

Ironically, the last time the Wolverines were shut out at Yost was Feb. 28, 2003 against the Spartans.

Senior captain Bryan Lerg picked up the only and game winning goal of the contest on the power play in the first period. The goal was assisted by junior forward Nick Sucharski and senior forward Chris Mueller.

“This is what we’ve talked about all week,” Bryan Lerg said. “Now it’s going to be the same type of game.”

U-M head coach Red Berenson said it was a good experience for his team.

“They’re a good team, and we knew that they were a good team,” he said. “It was a good game for us to play. That’s NCAA hockey right there. It was good for our team to go through this, and we’ll see if we can rebound (Saturday) night.”

As the No. 6 Spartans head back to East Lansing to battle the Wolverines once again, momentum is in their favor, however, don’t expect an easy win by any means, Bryan Lerg added.

“I expect a whale of a game,” MSU head coach Rick Comley said. “The road won’t bother (U-M) at all. I expect the same (type of game) but more scoring.

“It’ll be wide open.”

Jeff Lerg stopped 26 shots on the night.

“We did a real good job … not giving up second chances,” Jeff Lerg said. “It was a successful game for us.”

The Wolverines pulled goaltender Billy Sauer out of the net with 45 seconds remaining but could not figure out the riddle that was Jeff Lerg.

“Jeff’s been on a roll right now,” Bryan Lerg said. “He built that up … he kept us in there. I give him a lot of credit.”

The two teams meet again at 7:35 p.m. Saturday at Munn Ice Arena.

Share and discuss “Lerg & Lerg lead Spartans over No. 1 Michigan, 1-0” on social media.