Spartans ride 4-point weekend into holiday break

Freshman defenseman Jeff Petry passes the puck to senior forward Bryan Lerg during Saturday’s game against Ferris State. The Spartans swept the Bulldogs this weekend with 4-3 victory on Friday and a 4-1 victory on Saturday. Nick Dentamaro/The State News

Christmas came early for the MSU hockey team.

The No. 5 Spartans are heading into the holiday break undefeated in their past six games, and Saturday’s win against Ferris State at Munn Ice Arena bumped up their record to 12-3-2.

The Spartans swept the Bulldogs in the two-game weekend series.

Junior forward Tim Crowder, who had struggled heading into the weekend, netted two goals for the Spartans, both in the third period. He totaled four goals for the weekend.

“It feels real great, obviously, after struggling there for so long,” he said. “Now, if I can just carry that over Christmas, come back, and do the same thing.”

MSU head coach Rick Comley said Crowder’s weekend success was much needed.

“Eventually, natural goal scorers find a way to score,” Comley said. “(Crowder) was so unlucky, and fortunately now, it’s going in for him.”

Crowder added that working harder in practice and motivation from his teammates are what kept him going to finally put the puck in the net.

“Practicing hard and staying after to shoot pucks around and bearing down every time you get that chance, you know,” Crowder said. “And, obviously, trying to get open more in games.”

Senior forward Chris Mueller got the Spartans off to a quick start by scoring a minute into the game.

With this win, the Spartans head into a 20-day break before the upcoming Great Lakes Invitational at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. A long break means time to spend with friends and family, Mueller said, and the team isn’t worried about losing its focus or momentum for the tournament.

“Us hockey players, we don’t like to be away from the game very long,” Mueller said. “It won’t be hard because we’ll be so excited for that tournament.”

MSU will take on Michigan Tech in Detroit on Dec. 28 in the Great Lakes Invitational. The puck drops at 8:05 p.m.

Share and discuss “Spartans ride 4-point weekend into holiday break” on social media.