Breakup article should be kept in a diary, not for a newspaper

In response to the article Pre-holiday breakups can be challenging (SN 12/3) I have to say, I’m disappointed. Sister to sister, let’s examine this. First of all, coming from what seems to be an intelligent and attractive woman, I’m puzzled as to why she would choose to write an article that only further defines the (supposed) plight of women: being single.

“There’s a void that not even Santa — or the idea of him — can fill.”

Yes, well aside from the groundbreaking truth that breakups are tough, I don’t know one person that has been fulfilled by good ole St. Nicolas or some broken candy canes after a holiday breakup. Second, admitting there isn’t any advice but to shed tears and subject your friends to hours of reminiscing (which from my own personal experience, is not effective) will not be appealing to either party. Third, implying that every woman is a disastrous drunk without a man by her side is well, slightly offensive. I am truly sorry this is a difficult time for you, but it sounds to me like this article belongs in a diary right next to the heading, “Girls and Emotions: Two of a Kind.”

Erin Lake

social relations and policy sophomore

Share and discuss “Breakup article should be kept in a diary, not for a newspaper” on social media.