Saturday, May 18, 2024

Nonalchoholic Thanksgiving drinks

So you’re burning your feet off next to the fireplace, your adolescent cousins are trying to convince you to play “chubby bunny” and your mom has asked you to do so many things that you’re contemplating running away to Nepal to become a Sherpa. You need a good drink.

Unfortunately, it’s a bit awkward for most of us to drink around our parents.

So, as Thanksgiving rears its chubby head around the corner, remember that the holiday is about more than just food.

Make yourself a yummy nonalcoholic after-dinner drink to top off your meal — nobody likes a drunk family member slurring their words.

Nutmeg float

Makes two servings

A nutmeg float offers a pleasant, delicious winter treat. With vanilla ice cream, almond extract and nutmeg, it’s the equivalent to grandpa’s glass of Bailey’s Irish Cream, only better.

You’ll need:

1/3 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1 dash salt

1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 quart cold milk

1 pint vanilla ice cream

Directions:

Pour all ingredients into a bowl, except for the vanilla ice cream. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Pull out your festive mug, scoop in your ice cream and pour your mixture over the top. You’re ready to “gobble” it up.

Homemade eggnog

Makes two servings

Got a hankering for eggnog but don’t feel like trekking to the store? Make your own. This recipe isn’t too difficult and if you’re feeling ambitious, it should hit the spot.

You’ll need:

1/2 cup whole milk

1/4 cup cream

1/2 cup ice cream

1 egg white combined with 1 teaspoon sugar, beaten stiff

2 tablespoons powdered skim milk

1 egg yolk

Put all ingredients together, except for the egg-white mixture. Then, fold in the egg-white mixture.

Hawaiian punch

Makes four servings

If your Thanksgiving needs a bit of sunny beach love, make yourself some of this sweet punch. You’ll be hearing the ocean waves in no time.

You’ll need:

1 can frozen cranberry juice concentrate

1 can frozen lemonade concentrate

2 cans of lemon-lime soda

1 bottle sparkling mineral water

1 pack frozen raspberries

Directions:

Find a pitcher, put in the ingredients and stir.

Find these drinks and other nonalcoholic deliciousness at the Web site www.floras-hideout.com.

Share and discuss “Nonalchoholic Thanksgiving drinks” on social media.