Rumors regarding student campaign group untrue

Shame on MSU Students for Hillary Clinton. In a move that is absent of any tact or respect for fellow Democrats and students, members of this group have spread the rumor that MSU Students for Barack Obama forced members to sign pledge cards stating that if Hillary won the Democratic nomination, they would neither support, work for or vote for Clinton. As representatives of and participants in a campaign that spent so much time calling for an end to ‘Swift Boat’ tactics, this is deplorable.

The rumor itself doesn’t even make any sense. MSU SFBO has hundreds of members, and many of them are new to the political process and are looking to get involved in their first presidential campaign. Why on earth would so many agree to give up their ability to continue in this sort of participation on any terms? Furthermore, why would so many people who care enough about politics to volunteer for a candidate agree to give up what their efforts all surround — their ability to vote? It just isn’t logical.

So, why would Students for Hillary Clinton take such despicable actions? One can only speculate. Some might say they can’t stand the fact that there is a statistical ‘dead heat’ among Clinton, Obama and Edwards, and feel they can gain an edge here on campus through disgraceful tactics. But this nasty rumor is directed toward the Obama student group, not Obama himself. It seems to me that this group, which has had little success here on campus, is jealous of the overwhelming student support for Obama and the embodiment of that support in a group here on campus.

Grow up, Students for Hillary Clinton, and face the fact that Hillary isn’t the choice of America’s youth.

Steve Ross

political science senior and state of Michigan coordinator of Students for Barack Obama

Share and discuss “Rumors regarding student campaign group untrue” on social media.