Sunday, April 28, 2024

Heisman watch

Tebow, McFadden taking over race

After watching Missouri beat Kansas last weekend, I proposed this question to those who watched the game with me: Who is the Heisman Trophy favorite?

I was looking for some outside thought for this week’s Heisman watch, but between the five of us, we made legitimate cases for Tim Tebow, Darren McFadden and Chase Daniel.

Eh, thanks for the help guys.

Then it occurred to me, with the help of Heisman.com, that the Heisman Trophy is “an award to the most outstanding college football player.”

Well, McFadden, who put up gaudy numbers against then-No. 1 Louisiana State, is a tremendous college player and probably the best pro prospect of the three. Daniel showed some moxie as he led his team to victory in the biggest game of the year, but if you look at the numbers, his nine interceptions are a bit high.

That leaves us with Tebow, yet no underclassman has ever won the coveted award.

But unfortunately for the rest of the field, no one’s ever had a season like Tebow’s 2007 campaign.

Tim Tebow

QB, Florida

Last week: Passing — 262 yards, three TDs; Rushing — 89 yards, two TDs

Season: Passing — 3,132 yards, 29 TDs, six INTs; Rushing — 838 yards, 22 TDs

The Hammer isn’t only the nation’s most outstanding player, he’s a freak of nature. Already playing with a sore nonthrowing shoulder, he’s planning to play in a bowl game with a broken nonthrowing hand.

My new philosophy? If you’re not a fan of Tebow, you’re not a fan of football.

Darren McFadden

RB, Arkansas

Last week: 206 yards, three TDs, one passing TD

Season: 1,725 yards, 15 TDs, four passing TDs

I understand what Arkansas head coach Houston Nutt is saying about his running back – he’s a great player. Luckily for him I have a feeling McFadden will take the trophy from the younger Tebow.

It’s just a feeling, I’m not saying I agree with it.

Chase Daniel

QB, Missouri

Last week: 361 yards, three TDs

Season: 3,951 yards, 33 TDs, nine INTs

Big-time players step up in big-time games, and the not-so-big 6-foot quarterback completed 40-of-49 pass attempts in the Tigers’ win over Kansas. With the chance to right their only wrong of the season in next week’s rematch with Oklahoma, Daniel might have the chance to make this race even more confusing.

Colt Brennan

QB, Hawaii

Last week: 495 yards, five TDs, two INTs; one rushing TD

Season: 3,732 yards, 33 TDs, 14 INTs; eight rushing TDs

Brennan’s interception total is a little high, but it’s hard not to miss when you throw 422 times during the course of 11 games, which is one of the key numbers in Brennan’s case: 11. As in, 11-0 and the only undefeated team in the Bowl Subdivision. You can argue Hawaii’s schedule is full of cupcakes and call Brennan a system quarterback, but results don’t lie.

Pat White

QB, West Virginia

Last week: Passing — 107 yards, one TD, one INT; Rushing — 186 yards, two TDs

Season: Passing — 1,498 yards, 12 TDs, four INTs; Rushing — 1,144 yards, 14 TDs

I don’t want to include him on this list, but with his leading one of the teams likely to play for the BCS National Championship, he’s in by default. So why don’t I like White? He’s not a quarterback. Granted the blame shouldn’t be placed on White because of the Mountaineers’ scheme, but other dual-threat quarterbacks over the years have had much better passing numbers.

—Compiled by Cash Kruth

Share and discuss “Heisman watch” on social media.