Friday, July 5, 2024

Use common sense to protect yourself and valuables

It never ceases to amaze me how many students, staff and visitors suffer from a lack of common sense. It seems that I cannot go a day without opening The State News and reading the newest police brief on stolen goods resulting from an unlocked dorm, car or office. To add insult to injury, these items often range in the hundreds of dollars and are in untraceable forms such as video games. While I sympathize for the victims, it is incredibly easy for me to glance over at my locked dorm room door and laptop lock, and realize that I am fairly safe from these kinds of incidents.

I am a resident mentor on campus, and I recently made an entire bulletin board based off The State News reports indicating theft from unlocked sources. I made sure to highlight all of the lines stating “unlocked” and the dollar amounts of lost goods. It makes an impact on people to see how simple it is to lose something you care about. I was a toddler when I learned to look both ways before crossing the street and to lock doors when I leave an area. In these modern days of laptops, iPods and cell phones that cost hundreds of dollars, please reflect on some basic common sense!

Christopher Scovone

psychology senior and Wilson Hall resident mentor

Share and discuss “Use common sense to protect yourself and valuables” on social media.