Sunday, September 29, 2024

Third party needed for reputable evaluation

MSU, the University of Michigan and Wayne State University, a group that makes up the largest research university cluster in the nation, are worth more than $12.8 billion and represent 68,800 jobs.

At least that’s according to a new study released Monday by the East Lansing-based Anderson Economic Group.

The report also concluded that the more than 133,000 students who attend those three universities make the group the largest university cluster in the country in terms of enrollment.

They grant more degrees in medicine and physical science than any other cluster in the nation.

The report was commissioned by the University Research Corridor, or the URC – an alliance of the three universities, which are responsible for 95 percent of the academic research in Michigan.

They came together at the end of 2006 to form an alliance to share resources, communicate and collaborate in research.

The intent was to focus state attention and funding on the top research universities in the state.

A preliminary report released by the URC in June stated the collaboration generated $6.5 billion for the state, or 2 percent of Michigan’s entire economy.

At the time, MSU spokesman Terry Denbow said the three universities contributed a significant amount to the economy and Michigan was falling behind other states in its support for higher education.

The new report’s release coincides with efforts to finalize Michigan’s budget, which will include how much funding the universities will receive.

However, MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon said the report is not a ploy by the universities to gain more funding.

Still, the timing is impeccable.

Currently, Michigan’s Big Three universities receive 57 percent of the state funding for higher education.

The other 12 public universities in the state share the remaining 43 percent.

Aside from the funding, the study praising MSU, U-M and Wayne State was commissioned by the URC and created by an East Lansing-based consulting firm, Anderson Economic Group.

While the praise bestowed on the Big Three is most likely true and credible, it would be great to see the numbers confirmed by an outside source in a report not commissioned by the group being praised.

It also would be nice to see how other major research universities in the nation stack up against the URC.

And the state doesn’t have any funding to spare, as Louis Meizlish, a spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Mike Bishop, R-Rochester, pointed out.

Even if a particular institute is extremely valuable, the Legislature cannot promise away money that doesn’t exist, he said.

Share and discuss “Third party needed for reputable evaluation” on social media.