Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Tolerance and acceptance needs protection in society

After reading Nate Sherman’s latest column Western culture worth the fight, (SN 9/12) I would like to know exactly what his version of “Western culture” is, and why it’s worth fighting for. American culture is a mixture of the various cultures we’ve incorporated from those who immigrated here in the past. To claim immigrants are now hurting our culture is ridiculous. We’d have no culture at all if not for immigration. The things the West has perfected on its own are the very things Mr. Sherman attacks. Western culture IS decadence and greed and the glorification of sex. It is promiscuity and corruption at even the highest levels of society.

Somewhere in his xenophobic rant, Mr. Sherman compared America to the Tower of Babel. I find this interesting since the story of the Tower of Babel is that men united with a common language let their plans become so egotistical and prideful that God needed to separate them. If there is any culture these days that has seemed to grow so proud and arrogant that they deserve this again, I would think it’s America. Multiculturalism has nothing to do with the moral decay in America. The biggest problem is the hate and intolerance being preached by Mr. Sherman and those of his ilk. Damn straight we need to fight for Western culture. The culture of freedom, freedom to come here and still maintain your identity. A culture of tolerance and acceptance – that is the culture we need to fight to protect.

Tory Harrington

communications junior

Share and discuss “Tolerance and acceptance needs protection in society” on social media.