Friday, September 27, 2024

Icebreakers improve neighbor relations

To Ann Nichols, the best way to ensure a good relationship with her neighbors is to introduce herself immediately. She does that with baked goods.

“I had a lot of trouble with students until last year,” Nichols said. “Last year, I made friends with people.”

Nichols, a permanent resident of East Lansing and a member of the Core Leadership group of the Community Relations Coalition, or CRC, met many of her student neighbors last fall at the CRC’s first ice cream block party.

The ice cream socials — the first of which was last week — are events Rachelle Woodbury, the community liaison of the CRC, has planned to help bring students and residents together.

Woodbury said the main reason there are so many complaints at the beginning of the school year is because East Lansing is calmer during the summer.

“It’s just a tough transition because it has been quiet,” Woodbury said.

Like CRC, ASMSU has done their part to ensure neighborhood harmony.

ASMSU’s Community Liaison Kyle Dysarz said the way Nichols greets her neighbors is an effective way to create good relationships among students and residents.

ASMSU is working to eliminate issues between residents and their student neighbors, Dysarz said.

“It’s extremely important for students to understand and respect views of residents and visa versa,” Dysarz said.

Doris Asher, who has been a member of the CRC for the past four years, said the events help students gain respect for their neighbors.

“Sometimes students just forget they’re living in neighborhoods,” Asher said.

Geological science senior Michael Morse attended the ice cream block party on Marigold Avenue Wednesday. He said if a future issue arises, it will be easier to deal with having met his neighbors.

“(I would) bake them a pie and talk it over,” Morse said.

Share and discuss “Icebreakers improve neighbor relations” on social media.