Sunday, September 29, 2024

Dantonio victory as promised, thanks coach

MSU’s football team rang in the Mark Dantonio era with a resounding victory over UAB this past weekend.

The Spartans showcased their potent running attack and barraged the visiting Blazers for 45 points before halftime en route to a 55-18 victory.

Dantonio’s arrival at MSU has been long overdue.

The former Spartan assistant coach takes over after previous coach John L. Smith and some of his predecessors failed to turn MSU into a consistently strong program.

The former bosses may have featured gaudier offenses and more recognized athletes than the current head man, but few were able to exercise the amount of discipline needed to sustain the team late in the season.

Dantonio offers a more conventional approach that focuses on defense and running the ball.

His smashmouth style should keep the players determined and motivated for the long haul.

The new coach did a service to his team and to the opponent when he pulled most of his starters by the middle of the second quarter.

The move allowed his second- and third-string players to get some quality playing time. It also showed respect to UAB by not running up the score.

The new Spartan attack will allow more opportunities for running back Jehuu Caulcrick.

The bruiser often received inconsistent playing time under Smith, but he was used plentifully on Saturday.

He barreled his way into the end zone four times, equaling the second most rushing touchdowns in one game in school history.

“It’s something I couldn’t ever dream of,” Caulcrick said. “I couldn’t write a better script than what happened out there.”

Critics may point out that UAB is a cupcake opponent, but look what happened down the road in Ann Arbor. The brilliant and dazzling Michigan Wolverines lost to Appalachian State.

The all-time winningest program in all of college football fell to a school that not only doesn’t belong in a power conference, but doesn’t even belong in what was formerly known as Division 1-A.

That’s what we call an upset.

U-M dawdled and dillydallied and didn’t put away its cupcake opponent until it was too late, while the Spartans distanced themselves from their Division 1 competition shortly after the opening kickoff.

Saturday afternoon’s only pity was that the Big Ten Network, which televised Big Blue’s collapse, was unavailable to some off-campus students.

Comcast cable users were unable to witness the epic collapse.

Hopefully the cable provider will pick up the network soon and provide Spartan fans the opportunity to experience any future maize and blue meltdowns.

After all, who wouldn’t want to witness U-M crumble on television over and over and again, and again?

We’ll pay to watch that.

Share and discuss “Dantonio victory as promised, thanks coach” on social media.