Incoming freshmen hone skills in league

There are loftier expectations on the MSU men’s basketball team this upcoming season with the addition of three incoming freshman.

And they’re no strangers to each other. Besides playing together all summer at the Capital City Summer Pro League in Lansing, the trio of Kalin Lucas, Durrell Summers and Chris Allen played AAU basketball together as well.

In the summer league, the three have been playing alongside fellow Spartans Goran Suton and Idong Ibok.

“I’m just working on running the lanes and playing defense,” Allen said after a recent regular-season victory.

Allen and the rest of the Green team will compete in the playoffs this weekend as their league winds down.

Allen said the biggest challenge playing college basketball will face the caliber of players he will be facing because “everybody you’re playing against was a top guy from their high school team,” he said.

“Everybody is going to be stronger and faster.”

Jerry Meyer, an analyst for the recruiting Web site Rivals.com, said Allen is an asset who will help the Spartans put up points.

“(He is) a prolific scorer,” Meyer said. “Allen is explosive going right to the basket and also shoots the long ball very well off the dribble.

“He also is capable of scoring off turnaround jumpers in the midrange.”

With Drew Neitzel and Travis Walton seemingly positioned to secure the majority of the minutes in the backcourt, Lucas may have to be patient for his turn to lead the Spartans.

However, the ability to insert Lucas when guards above him on the depth chart need a rest should help the team’s depth, especially in March.

According to Meyer’s scouting report on Rivals.com, Lucas’ tendency to push the ball up the court and get fast-break points will help MSU head coach Tom Izzo create an up-tempo offense that past MSU teams have been known for.

Lucas’ ability to push the ball could cause wings Allen and sophomore Raymar Morgan to score in fast-break situations.

Lucas, Allen, Summers and the rest of the Green team can be seen in action 4:15 p.m. Saturday at the Hill Center, 5815 Wise Road, in Lansing. The team tips off against the Royal Blue team.

Share and discuss “Incoming freshmen hone skills in league” on social media.