Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Missing minutes cause friction

With the records still missing from ASMSU's Feb. 8 meeting, some members of the organization are questioning the undergraduate student government's accountability.

The minutes from Student Assembly's meeting when it removed the group Great Issues from ASMSU's Programming Board disappeared from the personal computer of Brandon Hicks, vice chairperson for internal affairs.

Since then, Hicks had his computer looked at by MSU's Academic Computing & Network Services. A consultant said the document could not be recovered.

At Friday's ASMSU Policy Committee meeting, representatives discussed the missing minutes.

"We asked (Hicks) what happened, and he didn't inform us," said Osman Elfaki, outgoing president of the Arab Cultural Society. "It took him 15 days to get the computer checked out, and he didn't provide any documentation."

According to network consultant Lisa Christman, it had been too long since the document was lost for the center to locate it. The meeting took place Feb. 8. Two weeks later, on Feb. 22, Hicks told Student Assembly he lost the minutes and was then asked to have his computer checked out. Hicks took the computer to ACNS on March 9.

Hicks could not be reached for comment.

"In order to protect himself, I think Brandon destroyed the minutes and (Chairperson) Roger Ludy is standing by him so the assembly doesn't look weak," Elfaki said.

Ludy did not return phone calls Monday.

In a letter last week to the Student Assembly, Lee June, MSU's vice president for Student Affairs and Services, recommended ASMSU "reconsider (its) decision" to remove Great Issues.

June was out of the office Monday and did not return a message left by The State News.

"If this process goes forward, the university, ASMSU and individual representatives all may face serious consequences," June's letter read.

The letter also was sent to MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon's office, but MSU spokesman Terry Denbow said he had not seen it.

June's letter said the decision to remove Great Issues seems based on the content of speaker Joe Carr's presentation and, therefore, violates the "university's commitment to free speech on campus."

Carr spoke at MSU last year in a presentation sponsored by Great Issues that was later called "anti-Semitic" by assembly members.

At Thursday's Student Assembly meeting, the assembly will vote on the approval of the minutes from the Feb. 8 meeting.

"Provisional minutes" were put together by memory after it was discovered that the original minutes were lost.

"One would assume that if (Hicks) wanted to clear his name, he'd do anything to help the assembly," Elfaki said.

Share and discuss “Missing minutes cause friction” on social media.