Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Student organizations embrace multiculturalism

They grew up in tight-knit families with strong ethnic and cultural traditions from countries such as India, Iraq and Vietnam.

When freshman year at MSU arrived, it was their first time away from home, and the students had to decide how to incorporate their culture into their new surroundings.

To cope with the changes, some students join multicultural greek organizations on campus that are focused on easing this transition.

"We wanted to be part of an organization that fit us, our personalities and personal beliefs," said Bethanie Akins, a member of Delta Xi Phi.

One way her sorority attempts to address multicultural issues is by sponsoring events such as panel discussions about interracial dating, which also allow members to meet.

"It will help to educate and to make interracial dating more acceptable in society," said Sharon Khousakoun, who also is a member of Delta Xi Phi and an advertising senior. "We try to hold events that help break down stereotypes."

Multicultural fraternities are not just about remembering where you come from, but also learning about other cultures and traditions, said Hirsch Kaveeshvar, president of MSU's newest multicultural fraternity, Sigma Beta Rho.

"It's very important for a society to know and learn about different cultures," he said. "You should never forget to embrace your diversity."

The four-member fraternity celebrates its differences — one member is Iraqi-American, two are of Indian descent and one is of Bahraini descent.

"Everyone is different and with that, the group is united," Kaveeshvar said.

The fraternity began as an interest group with 30 members last fall. Of those, 15 pledged to join the fraternity.

Sigma Beta Rho lost some members who graduated or moved away, Kaveeshvar said, but the group hopes to double its membership by the end of spring semester.

MSU's multicultural fraternities and sororities have their own council made up of eight greek organizations. Kaveeshvar's fraternity, Sigma Beta Rho, is not in the council.

The foundation of the Independent Greek Council is primarily to foster communication, promote multiculturalism and support one another in there activities, said Liliana Martinez, the council's vice chairwoman.

"It's a way for students to learn about various heritages and cultures and have a safe environment in which they can discuss them," said Gabriela Saenz, a doctoral student in sociology and adviser to the council. "Everyone belongs at MSU."

Being in a separate council sets multicultural sororities and fraternities apart from other greek organizations, Khousakoun said.

Her sorority, Delta Xi Phi, began two years ago.

The sorority has 10 members who are mostly first-generation Americans. Their parents are from around the world — from places such as China, Laos and Nigeria.

Everyone brings a little part of their heritage into the sorority, she said. For example, when the group has a potluck, everyone brings something from their culture.

"The United States has become more diverse and now more than ever it's more important for people to embrace other cultures," Akins said.

Share and discuss “Student organizations embrace multiculturalism” on social media.