Sunday, September 29, 2024

Salon opens new locations

Douglas J grows from E.L. roots to statewide venture

Douglas J cosmetology student Katie Gillies, left, highlights the hair of speech pathology sophomore Molly Richardville on Friday at the salon's downtown East Lansing location, 331 E. Grand River Ave. Douglas J is branching out throughout Michigan and opened a new salon in Grand Rapids.

Michiganians don't have to go far for relaxation or comfort. One step into a Douglas J facility and customers become guests.

The East Lansing-based salon is expanding to offer its services throughout the state, opening its latest branch in Grand Rapids.

"We saw a need for a school on the west side of the state," said Andrea Liebart, vice president of marketing for Douglas J. "A lot of our students were moving to East Lansing or Ann Arbor to attend our schools."

The Grand Rapids location, 138 Commerce Ave., opened Feb. 6. The company invested $3.5 million into purchasing and restoring the building, which was formerly a post office.

"Our next plan is to open an Aveda Institute in Royal Oak," Liebart said.

The Aveda Institutes offer students a chance to become fully licensed cosmetologists, teaching students to perform manicures, pedicures, facials and hair care practices.

The students practice 1,500 hours, or 10 months, in the day school or 14 months at night to get licensed, said Jamie Perry, director of guest services at the Aveda Institute, 331 E. Grand River Ave.

After the 1,500 hours of practice, students can work under instructors to serve people, instead of practicing on models.

"I was a little nervous," Douglas J instructor Heather McCory said, in regard to her first time working without a model. "I was more excited to put all my skills together that I learned."

Since 1967, when Douglas J began as a basement salon at Pinball Pete's in downtown East Lansing, it has grown to provide its students with a more diverse clientele and a more intimate salon for young professionals, said Liebart.

In Ann Arbor, the company recently opened the Douglas J Advanced Academy. The academy provides newly licensed professionals the opportunity to learn the art of image crafting, Liebart said.

The three-month program involves learning how to create styles from a person's lifestyle and personality.

Douglas J also has created a day spa in Okemos — the eXchange brand that provides advanced training and the institute.

"I like this place because they go out of their way for just the extra stuff," said Danielle Bretschneider, a St. Johns resident. "It's comfortable."

Share and discuss “Salon opens new locations” on social media.