Sunday, September 29, 2024

Proposed campus upgrades warranted

University officials recently announced the next two stops on MSU's 2020 Vision Campus Master Plan: Breslin Center and IM Sports-West.

The year will be full of improvement for both establishments, which each have unique needs and users.

At Breslin Center, the men's and women's locker rooms will be adjusted to better accommodate players — well, at least MSU's players. MSU will not be taking steps to better accommodate visiting teams — those locker rooms will remain untouched.

Among the main concerns regarding the locker rooms' current conditions are space and privacy.

The space factor can be attributed to the increasing height of MSU's basketball players, according to Athletics Director Ron Mason.

The proposed $2.6 million renovation project will be funded with private donations.

Is the David versus Goliath factor enough to demand drastic renovation? Clearly, only the tallest Spartans can attest to its necessity.

Next will be a renovation that will be beneficial to the entire MSU community, instead of solely helping the student-athletes who use the facilities for practices and games.

To the delight of aquatic athletes, exercise enthusiasts and wade-loving individuals alike, the IM Sports-West pool system also will be updated, bringing the 1950's-era facility into the 21st century at a price tag of $1.9 million.

Improvements will include updates to both the visual and functional elements of the system, including updating the tiling and lighting as well as the filtering and pipe systems.

The two pools are accessible for all students and faculty. Use of the indoor pool is free year-round, while a dip in the outdoor pool is met with a $1 fee.

An issue not to be ignored is safety. Out-of-date facilities can endanger people who use them.

The use of university funds in the name of safety precautions is both an encouraged and appreciated investment.

The two pools at IM Sports-West are in dire need of improvement for safety reasons. Poor filtration and a decaying pipe system not only can endanger swimmers by leaving harmful chemicals in the water, but also can lead to larger problems if ignored.

When it comes to deserving the upgrades, MSU's Breslin Center remains a leading basketball facility, fitting to the athletes who play there.

The pools at IM Sports-West, however, do not reflect the talent and dedication of the athletes who utilize them. The renovations are not only necessary, but also deserved.

Share and discuss “Proposed campus upgrades warranted” on social media.