Saturday, May 18, 2024

Spartans blank Titans, 1-0

MSU midfielder Maureen Pawlak maneuvers past a Detroit Mercy defender on Tuesday at Old College Field. The Spartans won with a single goal by midfielder Lauren Sinacola.

Although gray skies and rain covered Old College Field on Tuesday afternoon, the MSU women's soccer team came out smiling after a 1-0 victory against Detroit.

But it wasn't all smooth sailing. The Spartans (3-3) got off to a sluggish start and registered two total shots in the first half, only one of which was on net.

"Detroit Mercy knows us really well," MSU head coach Tom Saxton said. "Their style, which is very physical and very intelligent defense, on a wet day can make for a frustrating attack. We were frustrated in the first half, for sure."

The frustration ended in the game's 56th minute when freshman midfielder Lauren Sinacola took a pass from freshman forward Lauren Hill and forced a shot through several Titans defenders.

Sinacola watched as the ball beat Detroit goalkeeper Katie Fortenberry and began celebrating her first collegiate goal.

"I saw (Hill) making a run — she was working her butt off," Sinacola said. "I just kind of saw the goalie on the ground and I called for it, and of course she heard me. I just lifted my head up, and I saw it and hit it. … It hit off a defender and deflected in."

After falling behind, Detroit's offense came to life and forced MSU and junior goalkeeper Nicole Galas to play gut-check defense.

"I credit Galas' poise back there," Saxton said. "Her ability to come off the line and scoop those through balls saved our butts."

Galas stopped five Titans shots for her second shutout of the season.

"I'm so proud of us," Sinacola said. "Coming out here with the weather, I couldn't ask for anything better than this."

After losing consecutive games two weekends ago, the Spartans have now won two straight.

"We needed this game, and we need to continue to build momentum going into the Big Ten season," Saxton said. "I think we got a game where we can learn lessons on, yet we got a 'W.'"

A concern for Saxton is the condition of junior defender Erin Doan, who was kicked in the shin by a Detroit forward in the second half Tuesday and had to be helped off the field.

"She's getting X-rays," Saxton said. "They're testing her for fractures. I'm hoping it's a contusion and she'll be back quickly."

The Spartans will play on the road Friday at Bowling Green and finish the week of play on Sunday at Eastern Michigan.

Share and discuss “Spartans blank Titans, 1-0” on social media.