Wednesday, September 25, 2024

East Lansing doesn't acknowledge students

The article titled, "Proposed policy could devalue student housing" (SN 9/12), was especially upsetting to me as a proud MSU student.

For those who didn't read this article, the proposed policy would place more emphasis on the development of housing in the East Lansing area — more specifically downtown — for permanent residents, thus leaving the "minor concern" of student housing on the back burner.

Since my enrollment here at MSU in the fall of 2004, city officials have been constantly battling with the students to make East Lansing a more family/alumni-friendly place. (Tailgate: R.I.P.)

Don't get me wrong — I understand the importance of these social groups to the functioning of our city and the university; however, East Lansing is first, and foremost, a college town. While some may call this proposal a means of bringing more diverse people into the city, I call it a slap in the face.

I live in East Lansing year-round and have spent thousands of dollars at local businesses — not to mention the skyrocketing tuition I pay to attend this university, which actually brings people here in the first place. Also, in order to live close to campus and the downtown area, like many others, I pay a ridiculous monthly rent to live in a one-room apartment with leaky faucets and a broken heater.

After considering the amount of money I put into this city, it is preposterous to think that my housing as a student is not on top of the agenda.

It upsets me to think that the members of the City Council are more concerned with making this city more about bringing in new residents when they ought to be preoccupied with the ones who give it character.

Let's not let them forget the reason why East Lansing is the place that it is. And that reason is us — the students.

Molly Megargle
communication junior

Share and discuss “East Lansing doesn't acknowledge students” on social media.