Monday, July 8, 2024

FDA approves contraceptive

A new contraceptive pill that limits women to four periods a year was approved by the Food and Drug Administration, or FDA, in May.

The pill, Seasonique, has seven low-dose estrogen hormone pills instead of having seven placebo pills, like other birth control pills, said Nicolle Stec, a health educator through the Center for Sexual Health Promotion at Olin Health Center.

The hormone pills will help ease symptoms like bloating, cramping and headaches during periods.

Stec said having another option for birth control is always positive.

"It's beneficial to have more choices," she said. "There's no cut-and-dry method for everyone. Everyone has different needs, whether they want to take a pill or the ring or the patch."

The pill is made by Duramed Pharmaceuticals, Inc. — a subsidiary of Barr Pharmaceuticals, Inc. — the same company that makes the similar birth control pill Seasonale, Carol Cox, a company spokeswoman said in an e-mail.

She said the difference between the two is that Seasonique provides continuous hormonal support during the placebo period, unlike Seasonale, which has typical placebo pills. Both forms include a pill that's taken for 84 days.

Seasonale was approved in 2003.

Melissa Nichols, vice president for medical affairs at Planned Parenthood in Ann Arbor, said she heard about Seasonique, but the organization doesn't plan to carry it because it's too expensive.

Prescription sales for the pill are planned to be available in July.

Generic forms of Seasonale will be available later this year.

Nichols said Planned Parenthood is happy there is a new contraceptive on the market.

"We're glad that there's another option out there for women because the more options, the better," she said.

Stec said whether continual hormonal support will be the new trend in birth control or not depends on the response from the public.

"Depending on how effective it is within their lifestyle, this may be something more people embark on," she said. "If it's popular, there will probably be more of a movement to develop more of that. If it catches on, there may be more developments medically, pharmaceutically. Or it just might remain a unique form of birth control."

Stec said Olin offers contraceptive advice, with information on its Web site and at the health center.

"Exploring which methods work is especially important," she said. "It's not a one-size-fits-all concept."

For more information on contraceptive options, visit www.olin.msu.edu.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “FDA approves contraceptive” on social media.