Spank Rock provides 'over-the-top' fun

Spank Rock frontmen Naeem Juwan and Alex Epton show off their dance moves as well as their voices Monday night at Mac's Bar, 2700 E. Michigan Ave. in Lansing. The group will soon be performing across the country and just released the album "Yoyoyoyoyo."

DJs were coming out of the walls and MCs were rising from the crowd.

Spank Rock laid down raunchy lyrics and fierce techno, hip-hop beats Monday night in Lansing at Mac's Bar, 2700 E. Michigan Ave.

The whole performance was a whirlwind. It was over before it started when MC Naeem Juwan hit the stage like a stick of dynamite around midnight.

Juwan had the crowd in the palm of his hand with his smooth, quick delivery and popping dance moves. The DJs behind Juwan were holding it down with fun and interesting looping rhythms, but really Juwan was the main attraction.

The most dynamic aspect of the show was the way in which the lyrics were so over-the-top dirty, but didn't come across as obscene. It was as if the Baltimore-based hip-hop team was poking fun at the whole mainstream rap scene by being as lewd as possible.

The group's name in itself is quite an elaborate naughty overstatement. And there was a lot of "Wow, did he really just say that?" from audience members.

The most unfortunate aspect of the show was the fact that Mac's Bar was only half filled. Some concertgoers may have been turned off because it was a Monday night and tickets were $10 at the door.

But the lack of audience members didn't stop Spank Rock from putting on a high energy, arm waving, hot show.

Almost all of the songs came from Spank Rock's first full-length album, "Yoyoyoyoyo," which came out Tuesday. The little extra jump in the musicians step may have come from their enthusiasm in finally releasing a full-length project.

Right from the get go with the song "Rick Rubin," Spank Rock let off a unique blend of hip-hop knowledge with a futuristic club music vibe.

And the new album is bound to be rattling car systems from East Lansing to Baltimore and anywhere else folks want to bounce to a fresh hip-hop sound.

Spank Rock will perform in Milwaukee tonight, Kansas City on Friday and then the group will be off to battle crowds in Texas.

Hopefully, the highly innovative group will be back in Michigan soon, and not on a Monday night. But at least fans have the new album to tide them over until Spank Rock returns.

Share and discuss “Spank Rock provides 'over-the-top' fun” on social media.