D12 rapper Proof killed in Detroit

Detroit rapper Proof, 32, was shot and killed early Tuesday morning inside an after-hours bar located on Eight Mile. The bar had been operating illegally past normal operating hours. It has had legal problems in the past, Detroit police said. There have been 18 incident reports from the location since 1996. Shots were fired around 4:30 a.m. after an argument began in the bar. Proof and a 35-year-old man were shot in the head, Proof died on arrival at St. John Conner Creek in Detroit. The other man is listed in critical condition. Proof had been good friends with Eminem and in the rap group D12, a six-member Detroit act. In this Jan. 20 State News file photo, Proof performs at The Temple Club, 500 E. Grand River Ave.

Detroit — Proof, a member of rap group D12 and a close friend of Eminem, was shot to death early Tuesday at a nightclub along Eight Mile, the road made famous by the 2002 film that starred Eminem and in which Proof had a bit part.

The death of Proof — whose real name is Deshaun Holton — was confirmed by Dennis Dennehy, the publicist for D12's label, Interscope Records, as well as by Detroit police spokesman James Tate.

"Memorial service arrangements are still being made, and his friends and family would appreciate privacy during this difficult time," Dennehy said in a statement.

MSU communication senior and rapper Joe Perye said the news gave him chills.

"He would be the last person you would expect to get killed," said Perye, who knew Proof and many of the artists he worked with. "He didn't have any beef with any other rap artists.

"He was the mayor of Detroit hip-hop — he looked out for everybody."

Eminem and Proof, 32, seldom were seen in public without each other.

Proof was the best man at Eminem's wedding in January, and they have been close friends since before Eminem became a superstar.

The music video for the Eminem song "Like Toy Soldiers" shows Eminem pacing a hospital hallway as doctors try to revive Proof, who has been shot. Later, Eminem attends Proof's funeral as the song's lyrics lament the escalation in violence between rappers.

It was Proof's idea to form D12, a six-member Detroit-based rap group that counts Eminem among its successful members.

D12 has been around since the mid-1990s, when the members met at Detroit's Hip-Hop Shop, a clothing store by day/hip-hop club by night.

Proof's family members gathered at a home on Detroit's northwest side after hearing the news.

The residential street in front of the two-story home was lined with vehicles, and people hugged each other on the sidewalk.

Proof was shot inside a small bar in a strip of businesses along Eight Mile, which is the dividing line between Detroit and its northern suburbs. Tate said two people were shot in the head — one fatally. He said an argument at the C.C.C. nightclub escalated into gunshots.

The other victim — a 35-year-old man — was listed in critical condition, Tate said.

Wende Berry, a spokeswoman for St. John Health System, said Proof was dead on arrival at St. John Conner Creek, an outpatient treatment facility. Berry confirmed that he had a gunshot wound.

Police said shots were fired inside the bar around 4:30 a.m. after an argument between two parties.

By the time officers arrived, both of the injured men had been taken from the bar in private vehicles, Tate said.

Evidence technicians and detectives remained inside the bar Tuesday morning.

A spot of blood was on the street in front of the tavern, and police marked shell casings in a parking lot across the street.

Patrol officers said the bar is a frequent source of problems on the city's east side. Tate said police have taken 18 incident reports there since 1996. The latest was a vice raid in December in which six tickets were issued, most involving minors possessing or drinking alcohol.

The bar, he said, was legal, but was operating outside of its licensed hours.

The environment at the bar was hostile when he visited, Perye said, adding one time he was there with another person and that person's car windows were busted out.

"The other time I was there, I saw Detroit police arresting someone for having an AK-47 in their car," Perye said.

Another member of Eminem's inner circle — rapper Obie Trice — was shot while driving on a Detroit-area highway in December.

Perye blames jealously for the shootings.

"Basically, there's a lot of haters out there in Detroit," Perye said. "They're not in the position Obie Trice or Proof were in because they made it and the haters didn't.

"It's a very jealous city right now."

Riding on Eminem's stardom, D12's debut album, 2001's "Devil's Night," sold more than 4 million copies.

Its most recent release was 2004's "D12 World." Like Eminem's songs, D12's lyrics are humorous but often laced with profanity.

Proof also made a solo album called "Searching for Jerry Garcia."

Proof's Web site was updated Tuesday to include a picture of the tattooed rapper with the words "RIP Proof."

"Everyone is just shocked and disappointed," Perye said. "It's a real sad day for everyone in Detroit."

Margaret Harding, a State News staff writer, and Associated Press Writer David Runk in Detroit contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “D12 rapper Proof killed in Detroit” on social media.