Sunday, September 29, 2024

Keeping the party going

Mardi Gras celebration in New Orleans not just food, beads; shows return of life to devastated area still needing repair

Even a devastating hurricane couldn't stop Mardi Gras celebrations in New Orleans.

Nearly six months ago, Hurricane Katrina flooded 80 percent of the city and displaced many of its residents. Despite the damage, the party went on as usual.

Part of Mardi Gras is sheer partying, but a large part of it is cultural tradition.

The Mardi Gras holiday begins on Jan. 6, the day Christians believe wisemen visited the baby Jesus. The holiday signifies a time of joviality before Christians begin the penance of Lent.

The parades, the masquerade balls and the parties continue until Mardi Gras Day, or Fat Tuesday. The celebrations end on this day with some of the largest parades and parties of the holiday.

Some have used the celebration as an excuse to engage in excessive self-indulgence (the paczki) and lewd activities (flashing for beads), but it has a deeper meaning to New Orleans and Louisiana residents.

Mardi Gras celebrations are an important part of New Orleans' culture. By continuing them in the midst of the damage, residents show that they haven't been beaten by the hurricane.

The continuation of the holiday this year could provide residents who lost everything in the hurricane with something familiar, something to give them hope in the revitalization of their city. This year's Mardi Gras celebration could mark the beginning of that revitalization.

It's a sign of life in a ravaged city.

It's true that there is a great deal of work to do still. The homes and businesses damaged will take time to repair, and everything of value that was lost might never be replaced. But this is a starting point.

Usually the celebrations attract more than 1 million people to the city, but the crowd this year has thus far been significantly thinner.

Hopefully Mardi Gras brought New Orleans a big enough economic boost to continue reconstruction in the city. And hopefully people will visit for the celebration to show their support.

At least it's good to know a tradition that has been around for centuries wasn't wiped out by a storm.

Share and discuss “Keeping the party going” on social media.