Tuesday, October 22, 2024

International graduate school admission rises

Following a two-year decline, the number of MSU's international graduate student applications is up about 19 percent from fall 2005 — numbers that are in step with an annual nationwide survey.

According to the survey from the Council of Graduate Schools, nationwide applications for international graduate students have increased 11 percent for fall 2006 over last fall.

Following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, nationwide applications had declined since at least fall 2003.

"Since Sept. 11, the U.S. put a lot of practices in place that made ourselves appear unwelcoming," said Peter Briggs, director of MSU's Office of International Students and Scholars.

"What we are seeing now is the result of visa processing and an improved welcoming stance on the part of the United States."

The Council of Graduate Schools, a Washington, D.C.-based organization that promotes graduate education and research, released its survey Thursday as the first of a three-part series, with the other parts looking at admissions and enrollment data.

More than 150 graduate schools responded to the survey in February, including 80 percent of institutions that rank in the top 25 for international student enrollment.

This year's increase is due to a greater national focus on international education and improved state and federal policies that make it easier for students to apply for visas, said Stuart Heiser, manager of government relations and public affairs at the council.

MSU graduate student Kelly Shi came from China to earn a master's degree in business administration, and she said she didn't find it difficult to obtain a student visa.

"The officer just asked me some questions, and it seemed very easy," Shi said.

Universities nationwide also are focusing more on international education by setting up branches abroad and creating international partnerships, Heiser said.

International recruitment and Internet communication with prospective students have increased over the years as a way to attract more students to MSU, said Pamela Horne, director of admissions.

Although the increased amount of applications is positive, the numbers are still down about 35 percent at MSU since 2003, and Horne said there's always more recruitment that can be done.

"With international, it's about really being in touch with what's happening in education in particular countries (such as economic and population growth), because the world is changing so quickly," she said.

The university offers numerous study abroad programs and opportunities to bring foreign students to MSU, things Briggs said contribute to the university's goals.

"MSU has a fantastic web of international ties throughout the world," Briggs said. "We not only send (students) out, but we bring them in. (International students) certainly add to the diversity of what we want internationalization to be.

"If we have a good healthy international community, having them here gives us a great opportunity to learn from them and learn about other cultures."

Nationwide, the total number of international graduate student applications is still down 22 percent since 2003 — so there is also more work to do in universities across the United States, Heiser said.

"It's of course good news, but we haven't set off the decline," Heiser said.

"It's important that we start to prioritize international education," Heiser added. "If we want to continue to be the No. 1 country in creativity and innovation, then we need international students."

Laura Misjak contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “International graduate school admission rises” on social media.