Sunday, September 29, 2024

Investigation continues in student death

Police continue to investigate a car and pedestrian crash that killed MSU student Dannielle Brandt Friday night.

Brandt was on her way home from walking a show cow at the Pavilion for Agriculture and Livestock Education at about 10:20 p.m. when she was hit by a car as she crossed Mount Hope Road near Farm Lane.

Meridian Township police Lt. Tom Couling said he couldn't release many details of the crash because of the investigation.

"On fatal crimes, it takes a lot of work to put this case together," Couling said. "When we do complete the investigation, it is sent to the county prosecutors for review and they make the final determination whether or not there will be criminal charges."

There is no crosswalk where Brandt crossed Mount Hope Road, but there is a traffic light, he said.

"That intersection has a very low rate of crashes based on the number of vehicles that go through that intersection," Couling said.

He didn't reveal the name of the driver, but said he is a Lansing resident and was cooperative with police. Couling said he believes a witness called 911.

Police are still working to see if drugs or alcohol were involved in the crash.

The driver was not arrested for drunken driving.

"Obviously, if we felt that he had been consuming alcohol to any point to cause him to be intoxicated, we would have arrested him," Couling said.

More details will be released as the investigation progresses.

Share and discuss “Investigation continues in student death” on social media.