'Assassins' is dark comedy; anti-musical

Edric Haleen portrays John Wilkes Booth in "Assassins". —

Peppermint Creek Theatre Company takes a shot at "Assassins," the lesser-known Stephen Sondheim show, which has gained some notoriety in the past two years.

The company hits the bull's-eye with tremendous actors and, for the most part, good vocals. The venue is an unusual but unique choice — it's in a greenhouse just south of the Plant and Soil Sciences Building.

The action opens at a shooting gallery, where the assassins congregate to try to "win a prize, shoot the Prez." Then the play transforms into separate story lines about how these people came to assassinate or attempted to assassinate a president.

Interestingly, John Wilkes Booth becomes the star and catalyst for all the assassinations following President Lincoln in the play. He's adequately developed and intriguing, like most of the characters.

The music isn't exceptionally memorable — save for three captivating songs — "Everybody's Got the Right," which mocks the supposed freedoms the United States offers, especially for new immigrants; "The Ballad of Booth," which cheerfully asks of John Wilkes Booth, "Why did you do it Johnny?"; and "Unworthy of Your Love," which details one killer's obsession with Jodie Foster.

The best way to describe "Assassins" is it is an anti-musical musical. The show is hardly light and fluffy — it's an appropriately dark comedy.

The show has had a rocky ride to recognition. It was shunned on off-Broadway in 1991 when it closed with bad reviews during the tense political climate of the Gulf War. It was again taken off Broadway due to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. It came back in 2004 to receive a Best Revival of a Musical award.

Catch "Assassins" Feb. 16-18 at the MSU Gardens Conservatory in the Plant and Soil Science Building at 8 p.m. Tickets are $10 for students and $15 for the public. For more information, call (517) 927-3016.

Share and discuss “'Assassins' is dark comedy; anti-musical” on social media.