Sunday, September 29, 2024

Robinson sues over ballot law

State Senate candidate Melissa Sue Robinson, who is a transgender person, filed suit yesterday against the state of Michigan, challenging a law which would require her former name to appear on the ballot.

Robinson, who was born Charles Edward Staelens Jr., changed her name in May 1998.

The 1954 state law requires individuals who have changed their names within the last 10 years to have both names appear on the ballot.

Robinson believes the law should not apply to transgender individuals, she said.

"It's OK to have this law if someone is trying to hide their past or they are calling themselves Bill Clinton or Ronald Reagan to get elected," Robinson said.

But forcing her former name to appear on the ballot places her at a disadvantage to other candidates, she said.

"I have pretty much broadcast who I am," Robinson said. "However, it looks weird on the ballot. It causes me to lose some votes, so it is unfair."

Robinson is concerned people who have not heard her entire story will simply see a male name next to a female name and won't vote for her.

Because the suit was not filed until Thursday afternoon, the attorney general's office did not have a chance to review the case and could not comment on it, said spokeswoman Melissa Christensen.

Sean Kosofsky, director of policy for the Triangle Foundation, said Robinson has done everything she has been required to in order to be considered a woman.

"I applaud Melissa Sue Robinson for trying to force the state to recognize her for the woman that she is," Kosofsky said.

The primary for the special election to fill Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero's vacated Senate seat will be held on Feb. 21. The general election will be held on March 14.

Robinson, who is representing herself in the matter, said she is unsure if the case will be decided before the special election.

"I am not just doing this for myself. I am also doing this for other transgender persons who may run for office," she said.

The suit was filed in the 30th Circuit Court in Ingham County.

If she loses the case in the circuit court, she would continue her fight through appeals, Robinson said.

Share and discuss “Robinson sues over ballot law” on social media.