Casionauts to play Temple Club tonight

The Casionauts will release a 3-inch CD split with The Hard Lessons and The Recital tonight at The Temple Club. Only 50 copies of the CD were made and each band contributed one song.

Jon Cendrowski, the Casionauts' guitarist and vocalist, said it will be the last show with former drummer Scott Warrens, who is leaving the band because "it's tough to balance starting real life and playing shows," Cendrowski said.

The band began with six members in October 2003 when Ryan Balderas bought a Casio keyboard and decided to form a band. Cendrowski and bassist Scott Mills have been best friends since seventh grade. They both knew Balderas from going to shows.

"We just got together one day and thought, 'Why not?'" Cendrowski said.

The band is currently a five-piece and Cendrowski said he thinks they have now found a perfect lineup. All the members live in the area right now, but it's not clear whether the band will stay in Lansing or relocate once some of the members graduate from college, Cendrowski said.

"We'll just see how it all pans out, but the band is definitely a priority," he added.

The Casionauts have played shows across Michigan and performed in almost a dozen other states. "We've done a couple of do-it-yourself tours in bars, art spaces and parties," Cendrowski said.

The band's music could be described as new-wave, electro-dance emo punk. Cendrowski said the Casionauts' live show is his favorite because "it's the best place to connect with people."

He said he has heard that people like both the band's records and live show.

"People say they like putting our record on at parties," Cendrowski said.

"Personally I prefer the live show because it's like a big community. It's face to face."

The band is on an electronic label from Chicago called Omega Point Records and plans on beginning to write a new album during Christmas break and record it this summer, Cendrowski said.

Expect to see an energetic live show tonight when the Casionauts play with The Hard Lessons and The Recital. The show begins at 9 p.m. at The Temple Club, 500 E. Grand River Ave., in Lansing. The cost is $8 for those 18-20 and $6 for those 21 and older.

Share and discuss “Casionauts to play Temple Club tonight” on social media.