Thursday, October 10, 2024

Who's the man now?

Eugene Levy goes from being a 'that guy' to first-billed actor in new flick

Even though he never expected it, Eugene Levy is now playing principal roles in large blockbuster films.

The Canadian-born Levy sat down with The State News on Aug. 30 to talk about his new movie "The Man," which also stars Samuel L. Jackson. Among other issues, he spoke at length about his transformation from minor characters in the movies to starring roles in high-budget films.

Before taking the role in the first "American Pie" installment, Levy was considered that funny guy showing up all the time in brief appearances in the movies and on TV. Levy played a singer at an audition in the first "Father of the Bride," and portrayed Mr. Habib in the "Father of the Bride Part II." In Ron Howard's film "Splash," starring Tom Hanks, Levy played the scientist Walter Kornbluth, who insists that Daryl Hannah is a mermaid.

Regarding his television appearances, Levy has showed up in Martin Short and Billy Crystal specials including "Martin Short: Concert for the North Americas," "I, Martin Short, Goes Hollywood," and "Billy Crystal: Don't Get Me Started," in sporadic roles.

But these days, Levy has his name above the title for his starring role in "The Man" and is filming a new movie with director Christopher Guest entitled "For Your Consideration," set to be released sometime in 2006.

Although "The Man" is set in Detroit, all of Levy's scenes were shot in Toronto. Levy lamented that he had no control over where the film was shot and wished it was filmed in Detroit.

"The producers decide these things. I didn't write it. I don't understand why they didn't film in Detroit."

Concerning Levy's preference to either work on movies with the A role specifically written for him - which he did in "The Man" - or be part of the writing process, he said he relishes both, but enjoys the freedom of writing films with Guest. Probably best known for his role as Nigel Tufnel in "This is Spinal Tap," Guest has co-written such films as "A Mighty Wind," "Best in Show," and "Waiting for Guffman" with Levy.

"I like that there is no jeopardy when I work on a film with Chris," Levy said. "Castle Rock (Entertainment) just gives us around $8 million and we are left alone with no interference. I like the control of getting to do what is close to your sensibility."

On big-budget films where he plays a specific character, Levy expressed that there is less creative input on his part.

"I'm just a hired hand in commercial films. I don't have any final say."

When asked how he has changed from his eight-year stint on the Emmy-winning "Second City TV," or "SCTV," from 1976 to 1984, and how he approaches major movie roles these days he replied that he hasn't changed much.

"I just do what I do," he said. I'm the same guy I was back then."

Levy was very modest about the topic of being at the forefront of films and said he never believed he would be in this position.

"I never saw myself as an above-the-title actor. I'm a character actor - that is what I have always seen myself as."

Because of the exposure that he received from the three "American Pie" movies, Levy believes he was able to branch out to a larger audience that he would've never been exposed to before these films. The "American Pie" films allowed him to be presented with many roles that would not have been offered to him before.

"'American Pie' was a big movie for me. No one knew it at the time, but it allowed me to be offered such movies as 'Like Mike' and 'New York Minute' with the Olsen twins," Levy said.

Levy also has a straightforward decision-making process when it comes to choosing roles.

"If I don't do it I don't have a job," he said. "I have to put food on the table."

Levy also mentioned he has not taken every role that he has been offered.

"I have turned stuff down," he said. "Although, I have never regretted anything that I have turned down."

Share and discuss “Who's the man now?” on social media.