Tuesday, October 22, 2024

MSU event focuses on Israel

Student groups share Israeli food, culture at event

Marketing sophomore Dani Schufeldt, left, and kinesiology sophomore Beth Dreiling pick out toppings for their pita pocket dinners, made by Sam Shalmaiv of Skewers Mid-East Grill during the Jewish Student Union's first Israel Fest on Thursday at the rock on Farm Lane. Dreiling said she'd never eaten a pita with hummus and falafel, but Schufeldt persuaded her to give it a try. "It's so good," Dreiling said after a bite. "It's really different."

Although Israel is thousands of miles away from East Lansing, a little piece of the country was at the rock on Farm Lane on Thursday night.

At Israel Fest - put on by the Jewish Student Union and Spartans for Israel - guests were given an opportunity to learn about Israeli culture and politics.

The free three-hour event included Israeli food, demonstrations on Israeli military self-defense and different musical acts ranging from an MSU student to Jewish rapper Remedy, who is affiliated with the Wu-Tang Clan.

Cindy Huey, adviser for the Jewish Student Union, said the group planned the event to celebrate and showcase an Israel different from what is portrayed on the news.

"When most students hear about Israel they hear about the political aspect of the conflict (in the Gaza Strip and West Bank)," she said. "There is more to Israel than the conflict.

"It's a wonderful country with a wonderful culture."

International relations sophomore Avi Davidoff said organizers of the event focused on presenting topics surrounding Israeli politics in an unbiased manner.

"The information we are providing about the political aspect is all total, non-biased information," he said, adding campus political groups were on hand to show support.

Justine Ivanoff, MSU College Republican chairperson and political theory and constitutional democracy senior, said Israel and the United States have a "good relationship."

"Essentially, George W. Bush's policies have always been favorable to Israel and the Middle East," Ivanoff said. "They are trying to ensure peace can exist."

Aside from information about the country's politics, demonstrations in Hebrew calligraphy and krav maga, an Israeli style of self-defense, were available.

Hung from two poles, there was a sheet painted to resemble the Western Wall in Israel for attendees to attach prayers or notes.

"The wall is the only lasting remnant of the temple in Jerusalem," said political theory and constitutional democracy junior Jennifer Bloom. "People come pray and put papers in the wall.

"It is an important cultural aspect of Israel."

On a trip to Israel in December, the notes and prayers from Israel Fest will be placed at the real wall, Bloom said.

During the event, there was a disturbance when an unidentified man, who was not a student, was not allowed to participate in the self-defense demonstration and caused a small disturbance.

MSU Police responded and questioned the man.

Huey said the incident did not put a negative light on the event.

"Apparently, he was agitating," she said. "These things happen at our events.

"We aren't going to let this stop us."

Accounting sophomore Brian Glauser, who attended the event, said that everyone should try to experience other cultures.

"I've gone to Greek festivals and I've enjoyed it," he said. "Even if you are Arabic, you are here to experience culture."

Share and discuss “MSU event focuses on Israel” on social media.