Underpasses to end wait for train crossings

Frustrating waits at campus railroad crossings will soon be alleviated by $16.8 million in state funding to build an underpass on Farm Lane.

Congress passed a $286 billion highway and mass transit spending bill at the end of July allowing the state to allocate money to build underpasses where railroads cross Farm Lane between Trowbridge and Mt. Hope roads. The funding includes a plan to widen Farm Lane to four lanes.

MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon said the funding is needed to increase public safety, decrease motorist frustrations and aid in area economic growth.

"There are about 60 trains a day that go through the campus," Simon said. "That's about five hours of delays."

Cars and pedestrians often get stuck in traffic near the railroad tracks on Farm Lane. The planned $16.8 million underpass project would relieve congestion and improve safety for vehicles and pedestrians, Simon said. The project would redesign the area to allow traffic to travel underneath the railroad tracks.

"There will be less frustration, noise and tension," she said.

East Lansing Fire Chief Randy Talifarro said the underpasses would assist emergency responders by eliminating delays and providing a clear route at all times.

The Congress bill also includes statewide plans to decrease traffic congestion and aid mass transit projects through 2009. Capital Area Transportation Authority was given $3.6 million to purchase hybrid diesel-electric buses.

MSU officials have been seeking to create underpasses for several years under the university's 2020 Vision Plan - an initiative to increase green space and renovate facilities on campus. U.S. Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Brighton, and Sen. Debbie Stabenow also campaigned for money for the underpass project.

Simon said construction could start early next year.

Communication junior Chelsea Detweiler said building an underpass would make her daily commute to school easier.

At least once a week, Detweiler said she gets stuck in traffic waiting for a train to pass while heading from her apartment in Spartan Village.

"It's really frustrating," Detweiler said. "I have to wait in a huge line of cars for the trains ,and it's incredibly annoying."

She said creating an underpass will make it safer for pedestrians and less frustrating for drivers.

"It's terrific," she said. "It will just keep everything moving so much smoother."

Share and discuss “Underpasses to end wait for train crossings” on social media.