Team ends Big Ten season

Senior outfielder Victoria Morache slides safely into second base during Wednesday afternoon's game against IPFW. —

Coming off a sweep of a doubleheader against IPFW on Wednesday, the MSU softball team will head into the weekend with four big games to close out the Big Ten portion of its schedule, with two games against No. 15 Northwestern and a doubleheader with No. 1 Michigan.

The Spartans looked good against IPFW in both games.

In the opener, MSU (20-24-1 overall, 6-6 Big Ten) got a great pitching performance from sophomore pitcher Rachel Turney.

She had a perfect game through four innings before turning it over to sophomore pitcher Christy McGrew to close out the game.

The Spartans scored five runs on eight hits, while only giving up two runs on five hits. Neither team had an error.

The Spartans were led on offense by freshman Caitlin Mahoney, who drove in three runs in the first inning and eventually led to the win.

In game two, the Spartans got another solid pitching performance, this time from freshman pitcher Lesley Noel, who went five innings giving up only four hits and striking out three.

The Spartans were led on offense by freshman shortstop Traci Nicosia who went 2-for-3 driving in three runs and scoring two.

McGrew combined with Noel to finish off the shutout in the second game, 7-0.

The Spartans are going to need to continue their strong pitching performances against their next two opponents and they also are going to need to play solid defense while continuing to hit effectively.

"We need to continue to pick up timely hits," MSU head coach Jacquie Joseph said.

"If we keep playing the way we are, I really feel that we can come away with some wins this weekend."

The Spartans will meet No. 1 Michigan on Sunday, in their second match against a No. 1 team this year, after dropping a 13-0 decision to then-No. 1 California.

Both games will be tape-delayed on Comcast Local with the times yet to be determined.

"We played really well all day today," Turney said after the IPFW game.

"We did a lot of things well and just need to continue playing our style and we will keep getting the results."

With all of the games the Spartans have had canceled, they are are going to need to pick up some wins this weekend to help guarantee a spot in the Big Ten Tournament.

Right now, the Spartans are sitting in fifth place in the Big Ten, and the top eight teams qualify for the tournament.

Share and discuss “Team ends Big Ten season” on social media.